Sign in to follow this  
EarlyBronco

Anybody ever hunted Utah cow elk

Has anybody ever been on a Utah cow elk hunt where you buy a landowner tag? Been looking into it since I can’t get drawn here, just wondering pretty much how it goes, like do you buy a tag and then a Utah hunting license also? Never hunter out of state before so any information helps , thanks in advance 

Consider an over counter hunt here. They are mostly doable. Maybe and probably not the first time but if you put in the legwork you will probably start seeing patterns. We got lucky and got it done on day 1. That made me think it was easy, well it wasn't. But over the course of a handful of trips i was able to narrow it down to dates where we had sightings and close encounters. Then we kind of had narrowed things down. Then the kids were old enough for youth hunts so haven't tried since.  But it can be done and considering the cost of out of state tags and trip costs I'd suggest you look into it. Shoot me a pm if you'd like to hear some opinions.

3 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Consider an over counter hunt here. They are mostly doable. Maybe and probably not the first time but if you put in the legwork you will probably start seeing patterns. We got lucky and got it done on day 1. That made me think it was easy, well it wasn't. But over the course of a handful of trips i was able to narrow it down to dates where we had sightings and close encounters. Then we kind of had narrowed things down. Then the kids were old enough for youth hunts so haven't tried since.  But it can be done and considering the cost of out of state tags and trip costs I'd suggest you look into it. Shoot me a pm if you'd like to hear some opinions.

Okay thank you 👍🏼

Just saw this post so I am a tad bit late but hope you applied as the deadline was last night to apply for a cow tag in UT. I would try that route before buying a landowner tag as they have decent draw odds and will be a cheaper option.. 

Most ranches are wanting cows killed and they range from $1500-3000 including the tag from what I’ve seen.  Same in NM. It depends on what you want out of it.  If you want the DIY satisfaction then applying for a general cow tag in Utah and figuring it out would be a good call.  If you want to get out and see some cool country and a ton of game the private cow hunts are the ticket.  They will be quick and probably as close to a guarantee as you can get.  Most of the time they aren’t gonna shoot any where you can’t get a ranger or truck to so your meat yield and handling will be easier and better.   I’ve found the cows that come off private hay fields to taste exceptional too!  That all being said, $1500-3000 is a lot of money that could be spent toward draws for bull hunts, landowner tags etc.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, yotebuster said:

Most ranches are wanting cows killed and they range from $1500-3000 including the tag from what I’ve seen.  Same in NM. It depends on what you want out of it.  If you want the DIY satisfaction then applying for a general cow tag in Utah and figuring it out would be a good call.  If you want to get out and see some cool country and a ton of game the private cow hunts are the ticket.  They will be quick and probably as close to a guarantee as you can get.  Most of the time they aren’t gonna shoot any where you can’t get a ranger or truck to so your meat yield and handling will be easier and better.   I’ve found the cows that come off private hay fields to taste exceptional too!  That all being said, $1500-3000 is a lot of money that could be spent toward draws for bull hunts, landowner tags etc.  

Thank you, looking at buying a land owner tag, never hunted out of state and wanting to try something different , me and my cousin will be going but just wanna hear from people who have actually done it, the place we called said it’s pretty much a 100% success rate, but I feel like anybody who wants you to buy a 1500$ tag would say that haha