Crazymonkey

Father's day California pig hunt

Yesterday was the start of my California pig hunt and we were in pigs at first light.The first pig spotted was a banded white and black that came up from the crop fields .She was small and had a piglet and a smaller pig in tow .Won't shoot the sow with the piglet.So into the hills we went and we did find pigs .We found a good group and it was on .I couldn't get a shot on the lead boar and the guide said to shoot the third one back .Just before I was going to let it rip he waived me off and said we could do better.No pigs spotted in the afternoon hunt just some California blacktail deer .

• Like 7

Up at 3 am to meet my guide again.First pig spotted on the move up a draw at 300 yds .I'm up on the sticks and dialed for the yardage and gun goes click.I forgot to put a round in the pipe.No luck for a recover he was gone.Lots more driving and looking.I never would have thought coming to California and seeing bull elk .But we came across 3 bulls full rack and Awsome.Ill post some pics when I get home and upload from the camera.A few hours and several miles later we ended up on one of the guides buddy's ranch.As we go thru the gate I see a cow elk in the field and quickly take a picture.My guide Tom says there's a good pig in the field.So I get my gun this time I put a round in it and we are on the move .At 200 yds I'm on the sticks and dialed for the hold.Tom says let's get closer .So we move and now I'm inside a hundred and zeroed back out .I got the go ahead to shoot when the pig turned and let it fly .Right thru the pig .It started to run and Tom says great shot I can see blood .The pig ran about 40 yds and piled up .Ill put up the other pics of the elk and turkey and kill shot when I get back home.

0622220948a.jpg

0622220948.jpg

• Like 12

Congratulations on getting yourself a California feral hog.. that's definitely a hunt I've always wanted to go on... I'm looking forward to hearing more of the particulars of your hunt...very nicely done...

• Thanks 1

Sorry guys I haven't had it in me to do the follow up and get the rest of the pictures up.What I will say is I left for California sick with a head cold and sinus infection and wasn't going to let that slow me down .My outa state license and tag were only good for another week so I couldn't reschedule.I planned on leaving paso Robles Friday to see my kid sister in Huntington beach .I woke up at 3 am Friday to extreme pain on my left side .I knew it was kidney stones again.Nothing I could do but get in the truck and drive the 5 hours .I felt a little better Saturday and made it home .At the Dr's today and confirmed its stones again .Ill get stuff up as soon as I can.

• Like 2

Feeling a little better today so here goes I've added some pictures of my adventures as you can see we are in the hills of paso Robles California.There is a picture of one of 3 tulie elk we Damm near hit with the guides truck.I don't like to stage my animals for pictures I just take them as they fell .I don't like the pictures that make everything look much bigger than it really is.THERE is a shot of a flock of turkey in the field just after I shot my pig.It wasn't the biggest pig we saw .That was my fault .Riding around in the truck I didn't chamber a round into the gun and had a pig on the move up a draw and was set to shoot it and got a abrupt click on a empty gun.

0701221457.jpg

0701221454.jpg

0701221454a.jpg

0701221454b.jpg

For anyone looking into pig hunting here is a rundown on cost.

Outa state license $184

Pig tags are $84 a piece you can get as many as you'd like.

Most guides are around $1200 for a few days .

You will definitely be in pigs !! 

I towed my trailer and payed for full hook ups for 5 days.Paso Robles Rv park $328.

Fuel was stupid rediculus at over $7 bucks or more a gallon.

Experience priceless !!! Its a hunt I've wanted to do for a few years.

If I had the opportunity I'd probably go do the Texas route if I could get some buddies talked into going.

On 7/4/2022 at 2:41 PM, PRDATR said:

TX is a tad farther but you don't need a license and you won't be charged per hog. 

Close, you don't need a license on private land, but most places will charge you per hog.  Finding them on state land, I've heard, is difficult.  

Hog hunting is big business in Texas.  The drive is miserable from PHX but the price used to be right.  1000 ish miles each way, 14-16 hours, ive done it a few times.  

• Like 1

The drive was 12 and a half hours to California so for a few more hours it might be worth it.The tags are $84 bucks per pig in .ca.When I was looking at Texas there is a lot of ranches that have no limit on pigs and no tag fees.I'm sure they make the money up somewhere.They probably get you for processing or ranch fees .It might still be cheaper if you can get a few buddies to tag along .The rates go down with more hunters. Also you don't have the lead free requirements that California has and you can use your black rifles that California won't let in the state.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

The drive was 12 and a half hours to California so for a few more hours it might be worth it.The tags are $84 bucks per pig in .ca.When I was looking at Texas there is a lot of ranches that have no limit on pigs and no tag fees.I'm sure they make the money up somewhere.They probably get you for processing or ranch fees .It might still be cheaper if you can get a few buddies to tag along .The rates go down with more hunters. Also you don't have the lead free requirements that California has and you can use your black rifles that California won't let in the state.

I used a guy in Hubbard. We met up late one afternoon and got into his truck. He provided guns and ammo and we drove around on properties he had permission on from sundown to about 4AM and shot about 12 pigs.

• Like 1