bowhunter-tw

Which scope? Steiner Predator 4 vs Vortex viper HST

Hi guys, 

Looking to shoot 5-800yrds on steel. But will be mostly used for predators 300yrds and in. For an ar15 6mm AR 

so looking at these scopes which would you go with? Im not sure if the steiner would be way better optically and mechanically

https://www.steiner-optics.com/riflescopes/predator-4-25-10x42

https://tractoptics.com/riflescopes/tekoa-hd-4-16x44-bdc-with-long-range-kit-includes-scope-high-profile-turret-kit-and-sunshade-old

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-viper-hs-t-4-16x44-riflescope.html

You will probably notice more brightness and crisper definition with a newer scope. What's your budget?

I would save up for a newer scope.  800 yards is a pretty long shot.  Plus new gear is always nice. 😃

Never Vortex is the correct decision. Especially when it comes to the Viper series. 

• Like 2

I recently purchased the Steiner Predator 4 in 4-16 x 50.  I was planning on putting it on a AR Varminter but changed my mind.  I already have a Meopta FFP on an AR that’s real similar, so it would be kind of a bad idea.  My plan now is to put it on my 223 bolt m700 when I get it rebarreled in about a year and use the Leupold Vari x III 3-15x50 that’s on it to put on the Varminter.  The Steiner looks to be a good scope.  I don’t think I will ever go with Vortex.  I know a lot of people that like them, I just don’t have the respect for them yet.  I see them as a company that has its success from marketing rather than reputation.  Vortex was kind of pushed onto us I think.  Camera land had a special where a new Steiner scope came with good quality rings.  Keep a look out for that.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saguaro said:

I recently purchased the Steiner Predator 4 in 4-16 x 50.  I was planning on putting it on a AR Varminter but changed my mind.  I already have a Meopta FFP on an AR that’s real similar, so it would be kind of a bad idea.  My plan now is to put it on my 223 bolt m700 when I get it rebarreled in about a year and use the Leupold Vari x III 3-15x50 that’s on it to put on the Varminter.  The Steiner looks to be a good scope.  I don’t think I will ever go with Vortex.  I know a lot of people that like them, I just don’t have the respect for them yet.  I see them as a company that has its success from marketing rather than reputation.  Vortex was kind of pushed onto us I think.  Camera land had a special where a new Steiner scope came with good quality rings.  Keep a look out for that.  

Vortex started out with a great concept. The glass is on par. They are all "entry level" even after 15 or so years. Fine for the PRC rage but in all reality they are just over priced Tasco and Simmons when it comes to durability. If you want a reliable hunting scope that can take a bump and hold zero there are so many better choices/options for someone who wants a scope on a hunting rifle.

15 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Vortex started out with a great concept. The glass is on par. They are all "entry level" even after 15 or so years. Fine for the PRC rage but in all reality they are just over priced Tasco and Simmons when it comes to durability. If you want a reliable hunting scope that can take a bump and hold zero there are so many better choices/options for someone who wants a scope on a hunting rifle.

Im open to any recommendations, trying to stay around or below $1000 and open to looking second hand