Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Electronic descaler for hot water heater. Any experience?

2 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Anyone have experience with these things? Snake oil or does it actually work? Installing a HWH for a lady and she asked about it. Thanks 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ScaleBlaster-0-19-gpg-Electronic-Water-Conditioner-Indoor-Use-Only-SB-75/204186467

Usually installed  on the main line after the meter. Just a WH not a HWH. Although that's what most people call them. Do you have a TDS meter so you can see what the PPM is? Is it City Water or on a well? If on City that info should be available along with the hardness on their website.

City Water at my place in Mesa is 580PPM, Dasani bottled water is 26. Some bottled water I have tested was almost single digits.

On Edit: It seems that SV water is 160ppm. Lowest in the State.

1 hour ago, cjl2010 said:

Hot water heater…. Come on Kev.

Lol, took a second but i fingered it out.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Usually installed  on the main line after the meter. Just a WH not a HWH. Although that's what most people call them. Do you have a TDS meter so you can see what the PPM is? Is it City Water or on a well? If on City that info should be available along with the hardness on their website.

City Water at my place in Mesa is 580PPM, Dasani bottled water is 26. Some bottled water I have tested was almost single digits.

On Edit: It seems that SV water is 160ppm. Lowest in the State.

She's on a well. I do have a tds meter.

So do these descalers work well?  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

She's on a well. I do have a tds meter.

So do these descalers work well?  

I don't know. I looked at some of them and the German one I saw has been around for a very long time. I wouldn't call it snake oil but I don't know of anyone who has one. The one you posted is not very much money so I say install it and follow up with your TDS meter in a week and then  a few times a year.

I'd like to know too.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

@HuntHarder please clue me in.

I got nothing bud!  Just thought it was really funny that a guy responds to this thread and knows Jack shitt about a descaller.  Wish I could help

7 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

I got nothing bud!  Just thought it was really funny that a guy responds to this thread and knows Jack shitt about a descaller.  Wish I could help

Well thanks I guess. 

Just trying to help an old lady out. I've never even seen these things (or noticed them) until she mentioned it. I know pretty much nothing about them. Just don't wanna see her waste money. 

TDS wont tell you hardness. You need a hardness test kit and measure grains per gallon or parts per million.