dpr64

Best recommended PLB or satelite communicator

Had one of the Spot messenger devices a few years ago which I no longer have and will be going out on my own this fall. Likely will need something in case of an accident, etc.  and since I am handicapped with bum legs, it makes sense. Looking at a dedicated PLB like the ACR ResQlink, Zoleo, ACR Bivy stick, or the Spot gen 4...      Anyone carry one and have their likes/dislikes?    It will likely be used for about a 2 week period only at this point, maybe more later..

Thanks for any info, advice.

I like the Garmin InReach Mini for basic communication and checking in with family (pre-programmed “I’m alive and here’s my location” messages plus has ability for free text messaging at a cost) also has the emergency locator SOS function. I only use it during hunts in locations where I know I won’t have reliable cell coverage and it’s easy to activate/inactivate with minimal annual fee while inactivated. 

• Like 4

yup. inreach mini.  synchs with your phone for texting. gets you great topo maps. any messages sent to another inreach do not cost you. so you can text your buddy for free if you both have them. 

the big inreach is nice too. my buddy has one. 

depending on plan you can turn it off or on monthly 

I also use the inreach mini as well, I have the very basic plan. Cost about $12 a month and a initial activation fee of $15. Works great, I use the Bluetooth on it to send messages through my phone. 
I’m going to be switching to a satellite phone soon though, it also has the SOS “oh chit” button on it as well.

Another vote for the InReach mini.  I don't have it, but I've done the research and two of my friends have it.  One stayed in daily communication as he was solo backpacking the AZT this spring.  My other friend had to use is SOS function when a guy in their elk hunting party broke his leg several miles deep in the Colorado wilderness last fall.  My wife has used an InReach to send "I'm ok" texts when volunteering with our fish monitoring crew deep in the Lower Colorado River up from the confluence in the Grand Canyon.  Definitely worth the money.

I have the ZOLEO. Had it for about a year. Been happy with it. Easy to use, it connects to your phone and you text thru the app.

2 hours ago, AZ RANGER said:

I have the ZOLEO. Had it for about a year. Been happy with it. Easy to use, it connects to your phone and you text thru the app.

Does it also work without the phone and app? That’s one thing I like with the InReach is having either as an option.

Also forgot to mention the tracking…my wife used the tracking feature when she hiked the Grand Canyon and I could see her location online and track her progress. That was pretty cool and helped me know when she was getting close to the pickup location on the other end. 

10 minutes ago, bigorange said:

Does it also work without the phone and app? That’s one thing I like with the InReach is having either as an option.

Also forgot to mention the tracking…my wife used the tracking feature when she hiked the Grand Canyon and I could see her location online and track her progress. That was pretty cool and helped me know when she was getting close to the pickup location on the other end. 

I’ve never used it without the phone app but the SOS and check-in feature both work without the phone. 

There also is a tracking”bread crumb” feature that will update your position on a map for those that you want to share it with. It will update every few minutes I think. But there is an additional fee to use that feature. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AZ RANGER said:

I’ve never used it without the phone app but the SOS and check-in feature both work without the phone. 

There also is a tracking”bread crumb” feature that will update your position on a map for those that you want to share it with. It will update every few minutes I think. But there is an additional fee to use that feature. 

Sounds like the InReach on both. The bread crumb feature was pretty cool on the Grand Canyon hike and was able to share with some family members to follow online but there was an additional cost to it. 

Big fan of my Zoleo. Used it for 2 plus weeks in a remote area of the Yukon last year and it worked flawlessly. Seemed to work better and quicker for messaging than my dads garmin.