Clover once again procured all the hunting permits this year for quail and grouse, as her gun bearer was unlucky in the draws for elk, deer, sheep, turkey.  I hope the monsoon rains are good this summer to enable some decent Mearns hatches and grass growth.  It was a dry spring here in NoAZ, so I doubt the Gambels around Sedona will be good.

39 minutes ago, dustin25 said:

I’ve never seen as many quail around as I have this year…. I’m thinking it’s gonna be a great year

I see recent FB posts with plenty of new gambel chicks, but have to wonder if those are around the houses and golf courses.  Have your sighting been out in the desert?

• Like 1

+1 on the 'city chicks' vs. 'desert chicks', Doug. ;) 

I always try to remain optimistic, but honestly not too hopeful for this fall in my normal Gambels' spots.  Last fall was dismal, but finished-off slightly better.  Seemed to get into a few more in Jan/Feb.  We shall see what happens.

As for Mearns though, given the current monsoon outlook, I'm thinking it could be good!

19 minutes ago, Red Rabbit said:

I see recent FB posts with plenty of new gambel chicks, but have to wonder if those are around the houses and golf courses.  Have your sighting been out in the desert?

Both. Seeing a whole bunch in the neighborhood, and also seem to be everywhere out in the desert areas I’ve been in. I understand the rain patterns should indicate a pretty down year, but I’ve been seeing a lot this year for whatever reason

• Like 3

Seeing hundreds of Gambels daily on my desert commute. Should be a good year.