geoffsl

Its Time To Change the Arizona Bonus Point System

26 minutes ago, geoffsl said:

I  understand the system and Yes I understand I am eligible for the 70% pool as well not 80 as you suggest. 10% goes to out of state. . .so it looks like you are the one who needs the refresher course.   so using the departments own draw odds publication you can see, the bonus pool pass issued less that 1 percent of the 1st and 2nd choice tags to people with points and less than 2.5 percent to those who had no points. . .so in this case, you have a total of 3 % of drawing--with a better chance getting the tag from the general draw than the "bonus".    Look at Hunt #03149--again using the game and fish publication.

You are welcome to refresh you understanding. . .and maybe it more people did they would understand why what i am suggesting is fair.

AZ is an 80/20 split.  You clearly don’t understand how the draw works.  Do some research before you pop off next time.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, CWpredator said:

Not even remotely close to the bonus pass for anything. You haven’t waited in line nearly half as long as others. You have the same odds in the random draw as everyone else. Learn to hunt better and you can kill the same quality in easy to draw every year units as the trophy units just takes more work. This crybaby BS is quite funny. 

Not as funny as your ignorance. . .the best part is; you are making my point. . .thank you.  I wasn't bitching that I have waited forever. . .someone asked how long I put in for and what units. . .so i shared.  But to your point, there are LOTS of people with more points than me. . .and they just like me, they have seen people who haven't been in line as long as them get tags.  That is my point.  I am promoting the notion that FIRST COME FIRST SERVE.  Most every where we go that's how it works.  We get bent out of shape at a restaurant when someone who order after us gets their meal before us, we dont like it when at a grocery store people cut in line.  We don't like to get cut off in traffic.  But, I guess when it comes to hunting. . .we are ok- and shouldn't bitch about people getting tags who haven't waited in line as long as us.  

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, geoffsl said:

and your point is?  We shouldnt try to hunt in trophy units?  and for those of us who do, we should compete with the same odds as everyone else.  Your point isn't to say the system we use is fair, its to say put in for easy to draw hunts. . .but that doesn't change the fact that even in that (putting in for easy to draw units) people get tags ahead of people who have paid more money and waited longer for the opportunity.  Taking six points to draw turkey is ridiculous.  

My point is, if you are going to put in for those units don’t bitch when not drawn.

• Like 2

I take it you didn’t get drawn this year? Lol

No way I’ll sign that. I think AZ has the best bonus points/random draw set up going. 
Maybe you should learn how to play the draws better? It took me a while but in my little family we draw more tags than we can handle most years between a few states and we draw good hunts and kill good mature animals.

Leave AZ draw alone and figure something out if you want to go hunting! It seems to me that the dude that really want to go hunting and kill quality animals have figured out a way to do it year in and year out. We all know the type of hunters I’m talking about. Some dudes are straight up killers. They aren’t just sitting around bitching about not getting drawn. 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, geoffsl said:

It is beyond time to change the Arizona big game draw system.  Please give this a read.  Sign and share if you agree!

https://chng.it/W2mymt9wpC

The current system is fine. You can hunt every year if you want. Learn to shoot a bow. 

You are guaranteed to draw in the bonus pass draw... your complaint implies that you should be drawn before others that have been putting in longer than you have. 

Personally I think the state has done a good job of balancing the bonus points with random opportunity. How many deer points do you have and what hunt are you trying to get? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucafu1 said:

I got my sheep tag with 7 points but cant get an elk tag to save my life (at 13 I think). I cannot complain at all.

dang what unit did you put in for that you got it for 7 points? 

Just now, wish2hunt said:

My point is, if you are going to put in for those units don’t bitch when not drawn.

I agree with you, that I know it is going to take a long to time draw.  I am saying it is not fair that someone who hasn't waited as long as statistically speaking the same chance to draw as me and even after not drawing this year, I am back to the same boat. . .statistically speaking, no better than the next guy to draw.  That is what I would like to see changed.  

3 minutes ago, geoffsl said:

the point is, look at the game and fishes own publication. . .if you do the math and the research you will see exactly what I am talking about.  the publish it on their page.  I am not making this up.  And regardless. . .the bottom line is with out question. . .people who have been in line for a tag get passed by people who have waited less. . .period, not up for debate.  That is well known fact.  All i am saying is that people who have waited the longest. . .should get preferential treatment. . and the closest we come in AZ is more names in the hat for a VERY limited number of tags.  Again, using AZGFD's numbers, I had a total of 3% chance of drawing my tag of which more than 2% of that came from the general pool. . .so again, people are getting tags ahead of people who have been waiting longer and have spent more along the way for the chance. and really no better odds the next time around.  But I guess if you think that sounds fair. . .no sense discussing.  

The 20% of people who have waited the longest (and have the most points) go into the bonus point pass. Unless there are too many people in the lowest point level of the bonus pass, you get a guaranteed tag. How is that not what you’re talking about?

unless you’re saying that someone with less bonus points can never draw a tag before someone with more points? That’s a terrible idea, unless you really only want those few prime tags in a lifetime. Drawing tags would be a nightmare. People would stop putting in for those prime tags that they know they have zero chance at, and all but the worst tags would take a ton of points to draw anyway. I think it’d backfire big time, and it wouldn’t result in more prime tags over time like you think it would, it’d just get rid of any hope to draw in the meantime.

and this is coming from one of the unluckiest Arizona big game lottery contestants in the pool…

• Like 2

I think Arizona Point system is very fair compared to draws in the west. The only true fair draw would be something like New Mexico where it is all 100% random. But that has created it own problems through out the hunting community there. 

You think Az is bad try putting in NM and have a dry streak with no light at the end of the tunnel.At least AZ can give you a good idea of when you are going to get a tag. Along with a chance along the way. 

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, geoffsl said:

Nope, I am from Mesa. . .20 years for big horn, 14 for deer, 16 for antelope, 

it took me 6 points to draw spring turkey.   Its everywhere. 

Are you putting in for the trophy units? I know people that get drawn every other year or every year for deer. bighorn is understandable that will be pretty much any state for unless you pay to go to Mexico or Canada. Same with pronghorn because the heard's are so small here. If you are interested in pronghorn you can buy land owner vouchers in New Mexico Texas and other plain states.

1 minute ago, bigbuckclub said:

The current system is fine. You can hunt every year if you want. Learn to shoot a bow. 

You are guaranteed to draw in the bonus pass draw... your complaint implies that you should be drawn before others that have been putting in longer than you have. 

Personally I think the state has done a good job of balancing the bonus points with random opportunity. How many deer points do you have and what hunt are you trying to get? 

I almost exclusively hunt with a bow. . .and have only hunted elk with a bow.  And you are never guaranteed to draw at anytime. . .the only way you are is if fewer people put in than there are tags.  our bonus points only increase our adds. . .but for unit 3a/3c archry bull last draw. . .you had less than a 1 percent chance to draw in the bonus pool pass. .. according to the game and fish publication. and a little better than 3 percent total with the general pool entry.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2