geoffsl

Its Time To Change the Arizona Bonus Point System

1 minute ago, geoffsl said:

I almost exclusively hunt with a bow. . .and have only hunted elk with a bow.  And you are never guaranteed to draw at anytime. . .the only way you are is if fewer people put in than there are tags.  our bonus points only increase our adds. . .but for unit 3a/3c archry bull last draw. . .you had less than a 1 percent chance to draw in the bonus pool pass. .. according to the game and fish publication. and a little better than 3 percent total with the general pool entry.  

I’m sorry man, but you’re not understanding how the bonus pass works

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dell Oliv said:

Are you putting in for the trophy units? I know people that get drawn every other year or every year for deer. bighorn is understandable that will be pretty much any state for unless you pay to go to Mexico or Canada. Same with pronghorn because the heard's are so small here. If you are interested in pronghorn you can buy land owner vouchers in New Mexico Texas and other plain states.

I am defintely putting in for good units with nice animals. . .all I am saying. . .yes I know I can draw more frequently if I set my sights on lower quality hunts. . .I get it.  I am saying we need to do something about the fact that every year someone with a shoot ton of points gets passed up by someone with less points.  A perferential system vs bonus system.  

6 minutes ago, geoffsl said:

I agree with you, that I know it is going to take a long to time draw.  I am saying it is not fair that someone who hasn't waited as long as statistically speaking the same chance to draw as me and even after not drawing this year, I am back to the same boat. . .statistically speaking, no better than the next guy to draw.  That is what I would like to see changed.  

So is this a bad place to share that I drew a late kaibab tag with 7 points? Is that rude? Lol (don't quote me though, my other choice was the strip so it may be there as well)

Oh, I also drew an archery bull tag this year as well. :) also with 7 points. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

the "system" you want is a preference point system and will kill new hunter recruitment....  try telling your 10 year old they dont get to deer hunt till they're in their twenties so some old guy can go first.   Everyone has a chance with our bonus point system, and therefore everyone and their brother applies.  I have 6 points and didnt draw a turkey tag.... it is what it is.  I used to draw a spring tag every year, until our state population exploded.  Same with archery bull tags.  If you like the preference  point system, go to the states that have it, or start applying there.  Every applicant has a chance, and as such some hope of drawing each and every  draw. 

• Like 13
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Gringo said:

I feel like the feedback isn’t as supportive as he’d hoped…….

You think? 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, bigbuckclub said:

So is this a bad place to share that I drew a late kaibab tag with 7 points? Is that rude? Lol (don't quote me though, my other choice was the strip so it may be there as well)

No fair.

system must be changed now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigbuckclub said:

I drew a Rocky tag with 7 pts

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, dustin25 said:

The 20% of people who have waited the longest (and have the most points) go into the bonus point pass. Unless there are too many people in the lowest point level of the bonus pass, you get a guaranteed tag. How is that not what you’re talking about?

unless you’re saying that someone with less bonus points can never draw a tag before someone with more points? That’s a terrible idea, unless you really only want those few prime tags in a lifetime. Drawing tags would be a nightmare. People would stop putting in for those prime tags that they know they have zero chance at, and all but the worst tags would take a ton of points to draw anyway. I think it’d backfire big time, and it wouldn’t result in more prime tags over time like you think it would, it’d just get rid of any hope to draw in the meantime.

and this is coming from one of the unluckiest Arizona big game lottery contestants in the pool…

Wait.....

So the people that were first in line, will get drawn first????

Mind blowing.

And then there is a chance that some other people will just get lucky and get a chance to hunt.

Even more mind blowing.

Seems pretty fair to me.

6 minutes ago, geoffsl said:

I almost exclusively hunt with a bow. . .and have only hunted elk with a bow.  And you are never guaranteed to draw at anytime. . .the only way you are is if fewer people put in than there are tags.  our bonus points only increase our adds. . .but for unit 3a/3c archry bull last draw. . .you had less than a 1 percent chance to draw in the bonus pool pass. .. according to the game and fish publication. and a little better than 3 percent total with the general pool entry.  

That's not how the draw works, brother. If there are 100 tags for a deer hunt, the first 20 are guaranteed to the applicants with the most points that put that hunt as 1st or 2nd choice. The remaining 80 are random for the first two choices weighted by the number of bonus points you have. If any are left over after that, they go back to choices 3, 4, and 5. 

But I'm not going to argue with you. 

1 hour ago, geoffsl said:

Its every where. . .nothing special for Elk (3a/3c archer), unit 10 antelope, unit 12w for deer. . .but it took six points to draw spring turkey???

Now I know you’re just trolling 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dustin25 said:

I’m sorry man, but you’re not understanding how the bonus pass works

I am sorry you don't

straight from their website "What is a Bonus Point?
An accumulated credit (or point) that authorizes the Department to issue a Big Game Drawing applicant additional computer-generated random numbers during a draw. The bonus point system grants an applicant one random number entry for each bonus point that has been accumulated into the drawing for that species. Each bonus point random number entry is in addition to the application random number entry itself. This system provides applicants with an added chance of receiving a low random number in the draw, hence improving their draw odds, while still providing a chance (no matter how small) for any applicant to get drawn."  

and now re read the last line. . .(no matter how small) and compare it with their own publication. . .about bonus pool draw odds.   the sum total of odds for my to draw that tag (3a/3c archery bull) was less than 1%--that number is from their own website. . .so tell my how I am supposed to get  a tag from that?  it will never be guaranteed.  

5 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

the "system" you want is a preference point system and will kill new hunter recruitment....  try telling your 10 year old they dont get to deer hunt till they're in their twenties so some old guy can go first.   Everyone has a chance with our bonus point system, and therefore everyone and their brother applies.  I have 6 points and didnt draw a turkey tag.... it is what it is.  I used to draw a spring tag every year, until our state population exploded.  Same with archery bull tags.  If you like the preference  point system, go to the states that have it, or start applying there.  Every applicant has a chance, and as such some hope of drawing each and every  draw. 

eed tag from that?  it will never be guaranteed.