geoffsl

Its Time To Change the Arizona Bonus Point System

20 minutes ago, geoffsl said:

" ..My boys (now in their mid to late 20's) have been on one elk hunt of their own. . .and only two of the three have ever hunted antelope, we have 3 deer hunts over the same period of time between the 4 of us.  So yes, I am bitching. . .

I've drawn zero for bighorn & Az antelope.

I've only drawn two Az elk tags, one late Kaibab tag,

I help out on hunts, so I get to hit the hills, every single year.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, geoffsl said:

Yeah maybe there is a difference when it comes to expectation. . .But arent we required to purchase a license? and don't we spend money on the app fees. . .and those add up. and if you are the guy I saw this morning that has 33 points for big horn and still didn't draw, knowing that someone drew with less points. . .that hurts.  and we are all getting there. ..My boys (now in their mid to late 20's) have been on one elk hunt of their own. . .and only two of the three have ever hunted antelope, we have 3 deer hunts over the same period of time between the 4 of us.  So yes, I am bitching. . .so we can agree to disagree, I would like to see the system changed to be more equitable.    

Your boys are putting in for harder to draw hunts. The average for archery elk is probably about 10 points by now 

2 hours ago, geoffsl said:

Its every where. . .nothing special for Elk (3a/3c archer), unit 10 antelope, unit 12w for deer. . .but it took six points to draw spring turkey???

That is odd, I draw those about every 3rd year... Maybe you're onto something here..

Elk every 5 to 6 years 6a rifle,every 2 to 3 muzzleloader and deer 12 a ,12b about 5or 6 years ,turkey in 6a was 5 years for the first tag and two between tags I've got 11 points for antalope but I'm not bitching.Some hunts are harder to draw than others and everyone has a chance.Sometimes it doesn't seem like it but it truly is about putting in for hunts you can reasonably have a chance to draw.I don't hunt for trophies so its about getting out there and putting in for hunts with reasonable draw odds.

• Like 1

It’s not a perfect system but it’s pretty darn good, at least you know that if there is a hunt you really want just keep applying and wait until you get in the bonus round. I held out of lot of hunts for years waiting on a late 12AW tag. In between I helped others, hunted leftovers, hunted in Colorado, and archery hunted. . I finally drew 12AW last year with 16, had a blast and killed a decent buck.   This year by sheer luck I drew a late December whitetail tag in 36 B or A. 
I’m good with the current system, not because I drew 2 years in a row (I went many without) but because there is always a chance and if I really want a particular I’ll just wait.  The wait is usually worth it.  Game and Fish doesn’t owe anyone a tag, just a chance at one  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geoffsl said:

I wish I were. . .we I drew this year. . .I had tag #1. . .and I thought no shoot. . .who else had six points for turkey?  But my point is it is statistically possible--and I proved it.  just like sandhill crane. . .should be hard to draw but since they don't accumulate points for that everyone has the same chance. . .and with turkey. . .think about, everyone has the perm point for hunter ed, most people have the loyatly point. ..so everyone is in both the bonus pool and the gen pool. . .so if you have a 1000 people put in and only 500 tags half of you aren't hunting that year.  And all you have to do is look at a roulette table and see just because it hit red last time doesn't mean its going to hit black this time. . .trust me, I was fit to be tied not drawing turkey with 5 points.

Should have put in for 12a.

• Haha 1

You are hilarious.  So funny.  I imagine you are just as o.k. with going to a restaurant, ordering your food and watch plate after plate of food getting delivered to people who ordered an hour after you. . .or so jovial and fun when you are at the grocery store with a cart full of items as one by one people from back of the line get rung up ahead of you. . .but youre right I am such butt for thinking that first come first serve should be a thing.  

A restaurant is not a lottery.

How about a formula that uses age and number of bonus points for some species, heck! I want to hunt Bighorn while I'm still able to walk. 55 years old at 30 bonus points, but you wont hear me say its not fair. My buddy drew his bighorn tag first time ever putting in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spectrum said:

How about a formula that uses age and number of bonus points for some species, heck! I want to hunt Bighorn while I'm still able to walk. 55 years old at 30 bonus points, but you wont hear me say its not fair. My buddy drew his bighorn tag first time ever putting in.

I bought  2021 and 2022 NWTF gun raffle  calendars. For approximately 75 weeks I didn't win a gun until last Wednesday. I need to know why I didn't win them all? 🤔

If you wont read the departments own material. . .then I can't help you understand it. . . this is straight from their publication; for elk hunt #03149 3a/3c archery bull.   After reading it, you can clearly see. . .only 20% of the tags went to the bonus pool. . .and in this case 5% went to the out of state people. . .and with a bonus point in hand you had only a .006147 percent to draw that tag.  In the gen pool  you have right around a 2%. . .so put the two together and you have less than a 3% chance to draw. . . .I am sorry I didn't say UP to 10%--in this case it was half that. . .but my point still remains the same. . .there are people who drew this tag ahead of people who have waited longer to draw it.  All I am saying, wouldn't be nice to know that the person who has been waiting the longest. . .I guess we can agree to disagree

All 125 25 2225 1842 4067 11 14 22 25 25

100 Res 125 25 1319 1133 2452 9 10 18 19 19

Res% 59.28 61.51 60.29 81.82 81.82 76.00

NonRes 12 6 906 709 1615 2 4 4 6 6

NonRes% 40.72 38.49 39.71 18.18 18.18 24.00

I’ve drawn 5 bull tags in the last 6 years.  In this state, if you wanna hunt, you can hunt. 

put in for some stuff you can get drawn for.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AZBIG10 said:

Let’s make a list of the units dudes are drawing with one point. Big horn. Let’s help him out

I know a guy that got a sheep tag last year with one point. Don’t want to say the unit, don’t want everyone putting in there

3 hours ago, bigbuckclub said:

You are guaranteed to draw in the bonus pass draw... 

This is not true. You can be in the bonus pass round for a hunt for many years before you draw it. Say an antelope tag…maybe 2 tags go to the bonus pass round, but 30 guys with max points apply, could technically take you 15 years to draw that tag all while being at max points.