geoffsl

Its Time To Change the Arizona Bonus Point System

Up to 23 signatures. I guess so far 23 people haven't drawn? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ctafoya said:

Up to 23 signatures. I guess so far 23 people haven't drawn? 

Probably all supportive friends & family. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, knothead said:

Reading these comments reminds me why I love this place.  

Yup.  A lot of zingers, one liners, and witty come backs.

• Like 1

Some people cant live with not drawing tags, I put in for archery bull every year and now have 15 points, 6 now for deer, if your going to put in for quality hunts your going to have to wait like everyone else, and for god sakes please stop using the stupid restaurant and grocery analogy. It does not equate to a random chance at a tag. I will be content this year with my OTC archery deer hunt and late October trip to the WMAT for some big browns.

• Like 4

AZ has the best system out there. The old guys in town swear it doesn't work, not fair, but that is just because they don't understand all the nuances or math, they "never get drawn", yada yada. But it is just all flat basic statistical chance once you understand the whole system. You just have to play the game the correct way if you want to hunt more or in better places, just have to adjust you apps accordingly. Its a thing of beauty really. May the rain fall and the odds be ever in your favor!!!

• Like 1

I didn't get drawn I am pretty sure, but AZ has one of the best systems out there in my mind. 

I have enough deer BP to draw most a bunch of tag areas, but I want the hard to draw areas so I am waiting. The cool part is there is always that chance that I get a lottery tag and don't have to wait as long. 

• Like 1

I like the system the way it is. I also have 24 points for elk, 19 for antelope and 7 for deer. I knew/know the odds when I started applying for the hunts I want (although if I could go back in time, I would never apply for early rifle elk!). I've talked to hunters who have drawn the hunts I apply for who have less points, I'm always happy for them. Luck of the draw! When I started applying for elk/antelope, you had to send in a check or money order for the total cost, that explains why I'm 5 less points for antelope than elk! As far as the money spent on applications etc... it's the cost of getting into the the dance, one day the the Draw Goddess will notice me on the dance floor and I will get lucky! Or as it's turns out for elk, she'll take pity on this dude and I'll be in the max points draw. For my son and my nephews, I started putting them in for hunts or at least bonus points once they could hunt. One change I could see AZGFD making that I would support, is antelope being a "once in a lifetime".         

• Like 1

I have drawn deer almost any time I apply. They are not trophy hunts, but I get to hunt every year. I have drawn 2 early archery bull tags in unit 1 and a late 22N tag in the last 8 years. My wife and oldest son have drawn bull tags and cow tags. They are on a 4 year drought, but it comes with playing the game. If you hold out for trophy tags, absolutely your gonna wait. I go for the experience, memories, and to put meat in the freezer. The system works for me. 

36 minutes ago, SunDevil said:

Square the points

Squaring is just another way of saying preference point system light.  

A73D58B6-07F6-4B55-A09B-469BC9F53F16.thumb.jpeg.5c1762eccb8d947aec04f344fa193b0a.jpeg
hmmm, Geoffsnowflake  must have realized he had no chance on either thread, boy went silent.  Quite the Nuking,

5 hours ago, Sky Island junkie said:

UFC tournament for tag distribution!😂

I like that suggestion for west coast transplants!

If we do UFC tourney for tags I am all in. I have better odds to get a high enough draw in that system then I do in the normal system. 😂👍

• Haha 1