geoffsl

Its Time To Change the Arizona Bonus Point System

9 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Haven’t read any of this. It doesn’t much matter. I’m hooked on the best burger and Monday check in threads!!

+ 1 on burger thread.

Monday check-in lost me with the locker room selfie. 🤢😭

OP for this one apparently beat it on outta here.  Wonder what his petition signature count is up to.  lol

• Haha 2

I think it's just fine as it is... even with crappy NR odds I seem to be able to draw a couple tags here and there.  I think that comes with a realistic outlook on what's possible to draw.  Obviously a crap ton of people chase a couple glory units with very few tags and minuscule drawing odds are going to be disappointed that they don't draw every time they have a pile of points. 

On 6/29/2022 at 8:57 AM, trphyhntr said:

I’ve been applying for 3b for 9 years since be got 11 points now. 

You spelled 4b wrong.  It’s 25% better then 3b. 

• Haha 1

There was a kid in my high school that showed up randomly to our small town from lord knows where for a year or so then disappeared into the sunset before we graduated.  He was a real white rapper if you know what I’m saying. A real gang banger in our town of 45 people.  His name was Geoff, but we all called him Gee Off.  I can’t see that name without thinking that anymore.  He’s probably out there DJing for Ludacris or something right now.  Or in jail.  

I thought tags are guaranteed in the bonus pass once you have enough bonus points? And the only draw in the 20% bonus pass is between people "tied" at the lower bonus point levels?

The only reason the stats don't show as 100% - is because the people with enough points drew their other choice (1st OR 2nd choice) in that pass - eliminating them from one of their choices.  But the stats include them in both hunt numbers.  So the stats are not 100% correct and somewhat misleading?  At least that's how I think of it.

18 minutes ago, AZcoues_addict said:

I thought tags are guaranteed in the bonus pbutt once you have enough bonus points? And the only draw in the 20% bonus pass is between people "tied" at the lower bonus point levels?

The only reason the stats don't show as 100% - is because the people with enough points drew their other choice (1st OR 2nd choice) in that pass - eliminating them from one of their choices.  But the stats include them in both hunt numbers.  So the stats are not 100% correct and somewhat misleading?  At least that's how I think of it.

Thats how I understand it. Thats why you get a range of point levels in the bonus point pass

I’m NOT agreeing with the OP, but I was helping a friend that drew a Unit 10 EARLY rifle elk tag (see avitar) and while on his hunt I talked to another hunter up there that drew this tag 3 times in 7 years (Unbelievable Right?) Yes, he was extremely lucky.......unlike most of us😉

Probably everyone on this thread knows of or has heard of this type of luck. There is not a single year that goes by that I don’t get to go with someone that has a quality hunt. (Almost as much fun as having the permit myself - “Almost”😏)

Some folks are luckier at the draw than others. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CouesFanatic said:

Thats how I understand it. Thats why you get a range of point levels in the bonus point pass

Then you agree there is definintely a first-come first-served "line" for 20% of the tags.  That was my point for Geoff, which he may not understand correclty from earlier comments I read. We are all in this "line" currently, it just changes based on how we apply each year.  Not sure why others said it's lottery and no line?  It's both.

We are also in a random lottery (no line) for the 80% pass every year also (when we are too far back in the line for the first 20%). 

Personally, I'm more a fan of AZ and NV systems.  Everyone has a chance, however small.  NV doesn't have the game to support the demand, so preference systems won't work (similar to Az), but squaring bonus points like NV does might be a nice add to AZ system in my opinion.  Instead of an linear increasing chance in the 80% pass, it would be squared.  With decreasing habitat, game, drought, and more people living in the state every year - I think squaring bonus points might be good option to think about going forward.

58 minutes ago, AZcoues_addict said:

Then you agree there is definintely a first-come first-served "line" for 20% of the tags.  That was my point for Geoff, which he may not understand correclty from earlier comments I read. We are all in this "line" currently, it just changes based on how we apply each year.  Not sure why others said it's lottery and no line?  It's both.

We are also in a random lottery (no line) for the 80% pass every year also (when we are too far back in the line for the first 20%). 

Personally, I'm more a fan of AZ and NV systems.  Everyone has a chance, however small.  NV doesn't have the game to support the demand, so preference systems won't work (similar to Az), but squaring bonus points like NV does might be a nice add to AZ system in my opinion.  Instead of an linear increasing chance in the 80% pass, it would be squared.  With decreasing habitat, game, drought, and more people living in the state every year - I think squaring bonus points might be good option to think about going forward.

in the 80% random tags the odds are not linear at all. Check any unit any hunt for odds. They go up very slowly until the 20% bonus point numbers are reached. Squaring the points would turn Arizona into a preference point system by odds and would be horrible for young or new hunters. It's pretty much the opposite of what we have currently.

On 6/28/2022 at 7:51 PM, geoffsl said:

Me too.  Just haven’t gotten to be the trigger man and carry the bow guy. 

One is guaranteed a tag if they have more points than anyone for that hunt number, except sheep and Buffalo.  If you had 20 points and the next guy had 19 you are guaranteed the tag as long as there are over 9 (I think) tags for that hunt.  

as for turkey. Doesn’t sound like you’re buying 2 points a year.  6 points for a tag is not that long when you can get 2 points a year. 

and please research how Colorado works.  All of their premium hunts require over 25 points and if you don’t have over 20 right now you’ll never draw.  NEVER.  Az’s system at least gives you a chance every year. 

• Like 6

Ok help me with this my wife has 12 bonus for deer. 1rst choice 20 c 2cnd choice 21 3rd choice 6a.       Still NO DRAW.  This year 25 applications 1 muzzleloader tag     My luck sucks

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Oakley said:

Ok help me with this my wife has 12 bonus for deer. 1rst choice 20 c 2cnd choice 21 3rd choice 6a.       Still NO DRAW.  This year 25 applications 1 muzzleloader tag     My luck sucks

I hate to break it to you but you must have messed up your app.  20c either hunt should be so far past guaranteed with 12 points it’s not funny.  I’m assuming you’re maybe trolling with this post though because I’m not sure who would put that hunt with 12 points?  I would log into the portal and check your hunt codes because you didn’t put anyone in with 12 points for those choices and not draw.  A few thoughts 1) did you add her to a party with a bunch of people with low to no points?  2) accidentally put hunt codes down for youth hunts she wasn’t qualified for?  3) mistake how many points she has?  4) just flat mess up and she’s not in the draw at all?  
There’s a lot of conspiracies out there about things but fact of the matter is if you have the points and have your stuff straight on the app you’ll get the tag.  

• Like 6

I that’s what thought also so I checked application  it’s correct.   And 20 c has some monsters if your willing to HUNT and hold out