Tony Nile

Taxidermy Collection Found On Craigslist

44 minutes ago, azcouesandelk said:

Looks like all of outdoorwriter’s taxidermy

That’s exactly who they belonged to.  Tony sure had a full life one most of us can only dream about, RIP Tony.

• Like 6

Craigslist, of all places to part with such a fine lifetime collection?

Roast me. Whatever. One of you crypto millionaires needs to buy this and donate it to a museum for the tax write off.

I know his life's passion and work will live on in print and on the webs for a loooong time and such people it has inspired (myself included) should appreciate the opportunity.

• Like 7

What's the story here? Who did these belong to? Sad to see this is how it ends up but probably where mine will all go....  

1 hour ago, AZHNTR67 said:

What's the story here? Who did these belong to? Sad to see this is how it ends up but probably where mine will all go....  

They belonged to Tony Mandile aka Outdoor Writer

And yes sad to see them end up this way.

• Like 1

Makes me sad to see that…  Think about all the hours days traveling adventure passion to get that kind of trophy's only to be parted out on Craig’s List.  It’s all temporary gang corp diem… 

• Like 1

I think it’s normal.  When you think about it, there’s no one out there that thinks your mounts are cool except you and maybe 1% of those on the web.  Family will definitely support you having them, but they don’t think they are needed to make a room grand or keep any sort of memories alive so when you’re gone, they’re gone.  I’m sure his family had this conversation more than once.  I fully expect my stuff to be gotten rid of when I depart.  As cool as my guns and outdoor items and gobs of reloading equipment are to me, I expect them to be gone within a few months of my death since no one in the family or my group of friends have the square footage or love for any of that stuff.  Part of me actually supports that happening.  Time for them to move on.  It’s kind of like a family member dying and me inheriting a lot of fine China, abstract art, or book collections.  Sorry.  I loved them, but I’m not into that stuff.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Saguaro said:

I think it’s normal.  When you think about it, there’s no one out there that thinks your mounts are cool except you and maybe 1% of those on the web.  Family will definitely support you having them, but they don’t think they are needed to make a room grand or keep any sort of memories alive so when you’re gone, they’re gone.  I’m sure his family had this conversation more than once.  I fully expect my stuff to be gotten rid of when I depart.  As cool as my guns and outdoor items and gobs of reloading equipment are to me, I expect them to be gone within a few months of my death since no one in the family or my group of friends have the square footage or love for any of that stuff.  Part of me actually supports that happening.  Time for them to move on.  It’s kind of like a family member dying and me inheriting a lot of fine China, abstract art, or book collections.  Sorry.  I loved them, but I’m not into that stuff.

I agree.  Every time I write a check to the taxidermist I always thing “man that thing is gonna look good hanging in a Famous Dave’s someday”.  Keeps it grounded that life isn’t permanent and that stuff is really only for me and my memories.  I hope someday if I die young my family and friends will all take a mount or two that means something to them and remember me by it.  That being said the goal would be to make it long enough to where no one really gives a shoot about your mounts when you’re gone.  

Most mounts do not age well

the memories do but the physical mounts do not