JMoffat

First Coues Tag!

Portal updated. Drew the Oct 21 Coues tag in GMU 21. I live in Prescott and have only ever hunted mule deer as I'm a creature of habit when it comes to sticking to units I know 🤣 (most of them hold very little to no coues)

Would love to see photos of some bucks and hear about experiences from this unit specifically!

Super excited for this year 🇺🇸

My first experience hunting 21 was interesting. I hiked into a canyon with a glassing knob in the middle of it before daylight.  I glassed for about an hour and then turned around to glass back towards the road. I was shocked to see a line of 7 guys spread out glassing the canyon from the road. I caught movement just below the group and noticed a little buck walking down the canyon. With only 2 days to hunt and my wife coming up that evening with her own tag I decided to try and kill this buck. I moved to the bottom of the canyon and killed the buck as he crossed in front of me. About 30 seconds later I heard a shot from up on the road. I loaded up my buck and got back to camp about an hour later. As I was putting my buck in the ice chest a ranger drove by with a huge buck in the back followed by a line of trucks. Talking to one of the guys he said they had been watching that buck for the last few weeks but never saw him that day until I shot and he stood up. I guess I should have kept looking they killed him 250yds from where I was glassing from that morning. Its a fun unit with plenty of bucks.

• Like 2

I’ve never hunted 21 but I wish you the best of luck in tagging out! Make sure you share your story after the hunt, I’d love to read it!