Saguaro

RIP 4A

I went out to 4A today because I drew the deer permit and had to check out the note 35 in the regulations that was part of this hunt.  

35. The O’Haco Ranch is located in the north-central part of Unit 4A, just north of the Apache-Sitgreaves National For- est. The O’Haco Ranch is in the process of constructing a wind farm. During construction of the wind turbines, the O’Haco Ranch will not permit access to hunters. Construction is scheduled to occur for the duration of the 2022 hunt- ing season.

I was lucky enough to be raised in Holbrook and can remember how nice this area is.  Now it’s going be be gone soon.  I wasn’t really planning on hunting this area, but I like to shed hunt and check it out.  There are so many new roads it’s not even funny.  It seems like all of may favorite places are disappearing every year.  I lost the Pink cliffs to wind turbines and part of unit two will be lost to Potash in the future now this.  Even when the wind turbines are finished it will not feel like the same place since it will be so busy with the operations and scattered people and activity.  

00AF0AE3-0595-4DD7-BF4C-FFF322240B4A.jpeg

10FF20CA-360B-4BA1-A876-B885EEC82690.jpeg

825A8F7A-C26B-4B3D-B7E1-0FC81A2D8581.jpeg

4E347B43-0389-4F4E-83B0-8A346F0F9731.jpeg

DAFDA418-3903-49D3-A603-F150A115A17C.jpeg

BA3815B5-7BA5-43B3-A6FB-949E0648D760.jpeg

• Sad 4

7 hours ago, bonecollector said:

Hasnt Ohaco had his ranch closed the last couple years because of this?

Just the fall of 2021 and 2022.  So far. 

• Like 1

The impact of wind farms (roads, fences, etc.) and aesthetics of turbines is interesting to me.

I used to hunt in east-central Utah quite a bit while in college and on occasion over the years since then.  Several of my old hunting areas that used to be VAST open swaths of land with nothing but hills/canyons/deer, are now crisscrossed with roads and dotted with oil and gas rigs.  This is primarily on BLM land.....

I was born and raised in Kearny, the son of a copper miner.  Dad was an engineer/geologist at the Ray pit, and I never even noticed the tailings, overburden dumps, pit, etc.  Was just part of the landscape for me.  I remember taking my wife to visit the area for the first time, and she kept commenting about how "ugly" the mine was.  I didn't quite get it, in that it was just sort of the way it was.  To this day, i still don't see open pit mines as 'ugly', but guess that's my conditioned perspective on it. lol

I suppose the way the population keeps growing/encroaching, so will the wind & solar farms.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, stanley said:

The impact of wind farms (roads, fences, etc.) and aesthetics of turbines is interesting to me.

I used to hunt in east-central Utah quite a bit while in college and on occasion over the years since then.  Several of my old hunting areas that used to be VAST open swaths of land with nothing but hills/canyons/deer, are now crisscrossed with roads and dotted with oil and gas rigs.  This is primarily on BLM land.....

I was born and raised in Kearny, the son of a copper miner.  Dad was an engineer/geologist at the Ray pit, and I never even noticed the tailings, overburden dumps, pit, etc.  Was just part of the landscape for me.  I remember taking my wife to visit the area for the first time, and she kept commenting about how "ugly" the mine was.  I didn't quite get it, in that it was just sort of the way it was.  To this day, i still don't see open pit mines as 'ugly', but guess that's my conditioned perspective on it. lol

I suppose the way the population keeps growing/encroaching, so will the wind & solar farms.

I see coal and natural gas operations kind of the same way.  My dad and grandfather were both in fossil fuels, dad in coal generation and grandpa in natural gas.  What I see with the solar and wind is people, mainly the left can support them unconditionally.  I actually agree with wind and solar with simple conditions.  Put the turbines up in town or next to agriculture where we already fuked it up.  Put the wind turbines in our Right of Ways on 200’ centers and that’s a good use of space to me.  The positive thing there is the need for the power generated is right next to the turbines, not like they are now dozens of miles away and with a lot of lost power due to the distance.  Don’t put them out where it’s nice.  I don’t care if it’s private or public.  There are lots of things I can’t do with my private land, what’s the big deal with that?  With solar, make it a new building code to have solar on every new home being built and I would be okay with that.  It would be better than losing 4000+ acres every 4 years to a solar farm in an area that’s better off for Antelope or Elk than generating power. 

• Like 2

Just go nuclear and be done with this bs.  Talk about green…

• Like 3