Saguaro

RIP 4A

I wonder how many birds those things kill in a year? 

On 7/6/2022 at 11:33 AM, Hunting Fool said:

Used to be great antelope hunting and Jimmy Ohaco was a great guy.

Still is great guy. 

9 hours ago, stanley said:

The impact of wind farms (roads, fences, etc.) and aesthetics of turbines is interesting to me.

I used to hunt in east-central Utah quite a bit while in college and on occasion over the years since then.  Several of my old hunting areas that used to be VAST open swaths of land with nothing but hills/canyons/deer, are now crisscrossed with roads and dotted with oil and gas rigs.  This is primarily on BLM land.....

I was born and raised in Kearny, the son of a copper miner.  Dad was an engineer/geologist at the Ray pit, and I never even noticed the tailings, overburden dumps, pit, etc.  Was just part of the landscape for me.  I remember taking my wife to visit the area for the first time, and she kept commenting about how "ugly" the mine was.  I didn't quite get it, in that it was just sort of the way it was.  To this day, i still don't see open pit mines as 'ugly', but guess that's my conditioned perspective on it. lol

I suppose the way the population keeps growing/encroaching, so will the wind & solar farms.

I used to think mining was really cool. Now I realize there was nice mountains where every pit mine is.  isn’t wind and solar a couple of the least efficient forms energy? 

4 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

Do you really? 

Yes, that’s why I asked the question,  genius. 

When those windmills are old and wore out or not in use anymore who is going pay to take them down and haul them away or will there just be thousands and thousands of them just sitting idle on the land like they are in Southern California ?

2 minutes ago, joe hunter said:

When those windmills are old and wore out or not in use anymore who is going pay to take them down and haul them away or will there just be thousands and thousands of them just sitting idle on the land like they are in Southern California ?

Yes then on to the next tax payer funded scam 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

I used to think mining was really cool. Now I realize there was nice mountains where every pit mine is.  isn’t wind and solar a couple of the least efficient forms energy? 

Yep, indeed, something always has to go to make room when the pit is expanding further and further.  In the case of the Ray pit, it was prime muley country (now coues, too).  Not only do they do away with mountains, but then also pile mega-tons of tailings/overburden all over the place.  Would be cool to see what the Gila river valley between Kelvin and Winkleman would look like if the copper mine was never came to be.

Can't really speak as to the efficiency wind/solar vs. fossil, and others.  Those wind and solar farms sure can't be cheap to put-up, though.  (I also wonder what sort of subsidies they might be getting from taxpayers....)

4 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Yes they are