Sign in to follow this  
firstcoueswas80

Using blanks to train a pup

Pretty sure I posted this when it happened, but my Redline Airedale passed in April.

Thanks to John, I am getting a awesome female Airedale here in a few weeks. With my last one, I waited too long to train/condition him to the sound of gunfire. When I did, he did ok but I would like to start younger with this one.

This brought me to the idea of using blanks from a .22 revolver, but I have 0 experience in this field. I would like to start from the lowest noise level and work up. A little research has shown most to be unpredictable and flat out unreliable. 

Does anyone have any pointers or suggestions on where to start?

Labs are generally easy but I was successful doing a few things in order - YMMV

Start by banging around lots of cabinets, pots and pans during feeding time. Associate all good things with loud noises.

Bring your dog around someone else's gun fire or a local shooting range from a distance. Get as close as the dog permits and back off as soon as it shows concern. Keep it positive and don't rush it.

Handle a firearm around the dog several times. Associate food and treats around it. 

If all goes well, I would feed the dog or throw a retrieve and fire quiet 22 lr or other reasonably quiet round in opposite direction from the dog and a good distance away from the muzzle. Even better is a friend throwing a dummy and shooting from a long visible distance so the dog can make the retrieve. 

The .22 dummy launchers can also make the experience quite the treat for the pup. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

The sound of a shotgun racking a round drives my GSP crazy she knows that means lets go have fun. When she was a very young we made all kinds of noise while she ate. then by about 16 weeks started shooting a shotgun in the distance and worked right up next to her.  Now no issues shooting over her. 

I did the pots and pans with my yellow lab. That didn't bother him, but gunfire did. In the end all I got was dented and oblong pots and pans!

• Haha 1

With my first shorthair I was told to start off with a cap gun around her when she was eating. I did that and there were no problems with her being gun shy later.

the bang/fetch has to be rewarding for the dog, that is the association/bond that develops.  if the dog knows that a bang and fetch/pickup is good, then they dont care about the noise.  My lab would freak if I dropped a fork or knife on the tile, and split, but I could shoot the gauge over his head with no issues.  Get to the point where they wont move if nothing falls to the ground for them to pickup.  I would be on the boat blasting but the dog would sit on the bow until told to go. 

I did the noises during feeding, also would play hunting videos with lots of shots while I played fetch in the house.  Then progressed to the outside.

11 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

You could start with a cap gun. Hold it sideways for full affect.

"gangsta style"???

• Haha 2

I have been training my new pup,4 months old today, by exposing him to all sorts of noises while acting calm and continually telling him he is a good boy. Shop vac, air compressor, nail gun, table saw and motorcycle have all been accepted with a no concern on his part at all. I live under the Rim and we have had a few thunder storms in the past 2 weeks. Distant thunder was the first he heard and it got his attention but again I sat nest to him acted calm and reassured him he was good pup. Had some big crashing thunder a few days ago which did not phase him in the least. I started out 2 weeks ago I sat out with the daisy red ryder and shot coffee cans while he was next to me with the same reassuring drill. On our morning walks in the woods I have been carrying a 22 Marlin so he has a gotten used to that. Last Saturday shot some cans with a 22 short so he could get used to the noise. He sat next to me as it all was normal.  Good luck with your new pup

13 hours ago, 10Turkeys said:

With my first shorthair I was told to start off with a cap gun around her when she was eating. I did that and there were no problems with her being gun shy later.

I did the same thing. Just the little revolver one and ring caps. Worked well

While obedience training, a simple loud hand clap with a positive stimulus follow-up. Getting the pup used to the hunt game, however you prefer to do that. Then mix in hand claps, followed by distant low gunfire with a partner helping you. Always follow-up the noise with a positive stimulus.  

On 7/6/2022 at 6:19 PM, CatfishKev said:

You could start with a cap gun. Hold it sideways for full affect.

Kill shot ...