Sign in to follow this  
Bisbee

using the Contender this fall

I found out tonight that I'll be whitetail hunting come October. I have been practicing with my Contender, using a 6mm tcu barrel for the last year. I'm ready. 

Good luck on your hunt .I always get weird looks at the range when shooting my contender .People haven't seen one and are usually asking what it is .I've got a scoped 357.harret and a 44 mag 

What bullet do you plan on using? The 6TCU is very accurate but a little border line for big game. I would keep the shots under 200 yds and be precise with your shot placement. FYI, I plan on using one of my Remington XP-100's for my sheep hunt. Good luck on your hunt.

Rick

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bisbee said:

I have and I'm planning on using either 85 grain Sierra spitzers or Hornady 87 grain V-max. 

I have shot a few deer with a .243AI. I had bad luck with the 85gr spitzers. The 85gr Game Kings worked great. My buddy in Texas shot 2 deer with the V-max and the bullets blew up on the shoulder. Good luck on your hunt!

Bisbee, not to be crucial of your bullet choice, but keep in mind the Vmax is a varmint bullet.

I have had great success with the 85 BTHP from Sierra. It is mot great for LR, but has been accurate and lethal. 

• Like 2

Just a little info for those of you who are not familiar with the 6tcu it is a 223 rem necked up to 6mm at around 2700 fps or less. I think the 80gr b tip would work well. I would also stay away from the v max . If you can find the discontinued hornady or seirra 80 gr single shot pistol bullet you would be set.

• Love 1

I used the 7mm v-max on a mulie buck with a 7mm TCU and it was a complete pass through. He didn't take another step. Many pistols have significantly less velocity than rifles, making thin jacketed bullets expand like a heavier jacket would at a higher velocity. I would experiment with the 87 grain to see how they hold together at my velocities rather than experimenting on live game.

What would Bob Milek do?

1 hour ago, Bisbee said:

I used the 7mm v-max on a mulie buck with a 7mm TCU and it was a complete pass through. He didn't take another step. Many pistols have significantly less velocity than rifles, making thin jacketed bullets expand like a heavier jacket would at a higher velocity. I would experiment with the 87 grain to see how they hold together at my velocities rather than experimenting on live game.

What would Bob Milek do?

That's a good point. 

Thanks Nitemann that was a great article.

I have both of Bob's handgun hunting, special magazines that Guns and Ammo put out in the early eighties. This article was in the second magazine. When I bought my contender frame 32 years ago, I tried to obtain a 10" 6 TCU but they had been discontinued and suppliers only had Super 14s left in stock. Like a fool, I bought a 10" 223 Rem barrel instead. Last year I accidently bumped into a 14" 6mmTCU barrel with a Burris 3-12 and dies on Gunbroker. It is now my barrel, but I wish I hadn't waited so long! I have a gong set up at 200 yards and have alot of fun ringing it, I was given a bunch of 65-70 grain hp benchrest bullets (Shilen and Bruno) and have been having fun with them over 28 grains of BLC-2. I know that some are using 70 grain bullets for feral hogs and deer it just seems a little light for animals of that size, but it is hard to argue with sucess. I know that at 200 yds the 70 grain 6mm bullets crater my gong more than a 68 grain HP Hornady out of a 223 rifle.

Thank you to all who responded!

Bisbee

• Like 1

Success!

It was only a spike, but with a handgun they are all trophies to me. There are very few bucks to be found this year.

I wonder what became of the four multi pointed bucks that I spotted on Columbus day?

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 10:00 AM, Bisbee said:

Success!

It was only a spike, but with a handgun they are all trophies to me. There are very few bucks to be found this year.

I wonder what became of the four multi pointed bucks that I spotted on Columbus day?

That’s awesome! Congratulations on tagging out. Have any photos of the hunt?