Sign in to follow this  
firstcoueswas80

Non-designer Merino Wool base layer

What does everyone use that doesn't have the fancy name tag attached to it?

For years, I had a First Lite shirt and it was absolutely wonderful. By far the best base layer I have had. Dried out and didn't stink after the hike in was the best attribute.

Being as I am the non-athletic build, and the price, the designer brands are not what I go for anymore. I just ordered a couple of these to try out. 

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/us/merino-mens-long-sleeved-round-neck-top-p13069.aspx/Black/?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SMART+SHOPPING+-+SHOPPING+US&utm_term=&utm_content=|pcrid|390932670121|pkw||pmt||pdv|c|slid||product|023200005004|&gclid=CjwKCAjwt7SWBhAnEiwAx8ZLavaJ7kgkOdLqUXgBwxcWhhj9_4L4JPeeivu5hsur0Y2wjMUrbx4mWxoClUMQAvD_BwE

Edited by firstcoueswas80
Spellcheck

Go to goodwill/thrift stores, look in the long sleeve shirt section, may not have any everytime you look but after a year you will have a bag full of merino wool pullovers. I don't like the V neck ones, a couple are turtlenecks which are nice for really cold weather. I started with smartwool and such, but why pay that when you can accumulate plenty at 5 to 10 bucks a pop.

Kent

• Like 3

What about BlackOvis? Not sure if you consider that a fancy name or not... but their stuff is discounted often and they make good stuff. Right now they have all of their merino baselayers on sale, and an extra 20% if you use code SPRING20.

• Like 2

I wear all Black Ovis merino now. I’ve probably got 5-6 of them. I have several Kuiu as well but I honestly prefer the Black Ovis at around half price. I usually keep my tabs on Camofire and buy it off of there

• Like 3

Agreed. Black ovis now.  I probably have over 10 sets of their merino.  Different weights.  A little looser fit vs. Kuiu merino

• Like 1

if you wool is not the appropriate cam color, you wont find any critters, that there is the LAW!  Smartwool, minus33, darntough for socks.

27 minutes ago, n2horns said:

if you wool is not the appropriate cam color, you wont find any critters, that there is the LAW!  Smartwool, minus33, darntough for socks.

Darn tough socks are pretty incredible. I have a few pairs and I love them. 

• Like 1

I went thru my stuff because I could not remember what I had.  I have First Lite, Kuiu and Minus 33 for tops/bottoms.  What I like about the FL/Kuiu/M33 is that the collars seems to stay tight and retain shape.  I have had  other brands where collars that got stretched out and nasty looking (looks in woods are key).

Im a big kid 6' 250 and like the tighter base layers.  I picked up the FL/Kuiu on sale so that helped a lot.  Gentle wash and hang dry or very light temp on drier.

23 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Darn tough socks are pretty incredible. I have a few pairs and I love them. 

Have you tried “farm to feet" damascus? I am slowly ($25 a pair) phasing out all of my socks for these

1 minute ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Have you tried “farm to feet" damascus? I am slowly ($25 a pair) phasing out all of my socks for these

I have not, but I am doing the same going to darn tough.

12 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

I have not, but I am doing the same going to darn tough.

How do either of those compare to Smartwool? That's all I ever buy.

8 hours ago, PRDATR said:

How do either of those compare to Smartwool? That's all I ever buy.

Darn tough are the only socks I buy, and I've had plenty of Smart Wool socks.

Thats decent pricing Casey. I've used Smartwool for work and waterfowl hunting on the really cold days and it does great!