Chef

Where's the best hand tossed pizza in Arizona?

Red Devil Pizza in Phoenix or Casanova Brothers in Gilbert

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 257 STW said:

Red Devil Pizza in Phoenix or Casanova Brothers in Gilbert

I had to look up Casanova Brothers, I thought I might pick some pizza up on my way today. Looks like they are permanently closed. 

20 hours ago, Allforelk said:

Clockwork Pizza in Tempe is about as good as it gets for a straight Pepperoni pizza. It checks all your boxes and I will add one, the crust tastes like good Italian bread. 

Again, thanks for the recommendation, I tried a cheese pizza from Clockwork today.

They use a conveyor style oven so their pizza doesn't get that crispy stone crust.

The dough was decent, cheese was tangy while just a tiny bit oily, the sauce leaned towards being salty.

An entire league above the national pizza chains and I can see where customers keep going back. (no where near the same caliber as Grimaldi's)

Just so everyone knows how I roll, I ate the entire thing. 😎

IMG_0649.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, briant_az said:

I had to look up Casanova Brothers, I thought I might pick some pizza up on my way today. Looks like they are permanently closed. 

dang that sucks I haven't worked in the area in a while. That sucks another good restaurant lost to the pandemic .

7 minutes ago, 257 STW said:

dang that sucks I haven't worked in the area in a while. That sucks another good restaurant lost to the pandemic .

One of the brothers passed from Covid and they struggled to keep staff, ended up shutting the doors.

Any excellent pizza I’m gonna be disappointed no matter how good it is. I think rosatis is delicious, but $40 for a dang pizza. Therefor disappointed. Red white and brew or oreganos have ok pizza 

12 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Any excellent pizza I’m gonna be disappointed no matter how good it is. I think rosatis is delicious, but $40 for a dang pizza. Therefor disappointed. Red white and brew or oreganos have ok pizza 

Oreganos pan pizza is a go to for us.

Cheese is creamy, tomatoes are ripe and sweet, crust is buttery.

Chicago style pizza deserves a whole other thread although there are even lesser great options in Az.

Paesano's at 43rd Ave and T Bird was my favorite, but they got old and retired. I order from Ray's these days.

43 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

I have a customer that does a few big mechanical projects every few years and did a Contractor Appreciation Day a few years ago. The new Construction PM ordered a bunch of Pizzas from them. I really like the no gluten pizza and they also had a few with anchovies.

I went to one by Bass Pro before it closed and took my two sisters while they were in town and ordered a pizza for myself. When it came out they cut it up in squares like browines. I chewed a little butt and sent it back and had them remake it and cut it into proper slices like a napoletana pizza should be. I'm ok with square pizza but it has to be Sicilian style. I had a great one in the mid 80's in Tucson, Ray's? It actually was a wheat crust but was light and crunchy like a Sicilian pie I grew up with.

When Costco used to make their combo pizza that was my favorite.  Long time ago there use to be a pizza place on 43rd ave and Mcdowell called Time Square Pizza that made the best I ever had anywhere.  To be honest, not a huge fan of pizza as I think it is mostly overrated.  I hate spending more than $20 for a pie.  

Velvet Elvis in Patagonia is a good stop when hunting in that area.

• Like 1