Chef

Where's the best hand tossed pizza in Arizona?

1 hour ago, maximus said:

Hey Chef,

is this the one on pinnacle peak and pima? never been there but they look really good.

Yes this is it!  It was a bit busy but they sat us all inside because of the pending rain storm.

I can only imagine how busy it gets during the winter.

• Like 1

Artichoke Basilles off Bethany Home and 16th street is great pizza. Simple, the sauce is awesome, and the ingredients are quality. My significant other and is the resident Italian, she gave it the seal of approval as well. I went a few weeks ago. She got the artichoke and the Staten Island slice. I got the Pepperoni and the Margherita slice and was very impressed. The slices were massive and reasonably priced. The bottom was crispy the crust was not too doughy. The Artichoke slice used a white sauce and was more doughy but I enjoyed the few bites I have had. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, amack26 said:

Artichoke Basilles off Bethany Home and 16th street is great pizza. Simple, the sauce is awesome, and the ingredients are quality. My significant other and is the resident Italian, she gave it the seal of approval as well. I went a few weeks ago. She got the artichoke and the Staten Island slice. I got the Pepperoni and the Margherita slice and was very impressed. The slices were massive and reasonably priced. The bottom was crispy the crust was not too doughy. The Artichoke slice used a white sauce and was more doughy but I enjoyed the few bites I have had. 

I'm closer to their Tempe location.  Gonna give them a shot! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, amack26 said:

Artichoke Basilles...

Well this didn't take long! Wife and I took a trip to Artichoke Basille's in Tempe.

Upon walking in, we had a nice view of the slice pie glass display.  I saw that they had sets of Bakers Pride pizza ovens with cordierite decks so I was pumped.

Tried the Margherita and the Staten Island slices.

Slices came out piping hot with crispy crust bottoms, just the way I like em.

They use Polly-O mozzarella and add Grana Padano cheese.  Not sure if this contributed to an oilier finish than I prefer.  (as you've noticed, I love Grande Mozzarella)

Flavor profiles on both pizza's was good.  The sauce was flavorful/savory and a welcomed surprise as I've been tired of the bland tomato sauces at other pizza joints.

The crust absolutely slapped.  It has great texture and a perfect chew.  

Not only would I hit this place up again, it's my new go-to for NY style pizza.  Thanks again amack26 for the recommendation!

image_50456321.JPG

image_50734337.JPG

• Like 3

Came to realize from this thread I’ve never ate a hand tossed pizza in America. I’ve a lot of them in Cabo. Me and my buddy tried to google one in east Mesa. Came up with nothing. 

edit: wait, maybe im thinking brick oven 

On 7/13/2022 at 12:27 PM, Chef said:

They are hand tossed and fired in a pizza oven and they use good cheese.

I prefer the pre-made slices.  they'll put them in the oven to finish and they'll get that nice crust at the bottom.

I almost decided to work in Tucson today as I was Jonesing for it.  Opted to head to Sal's in Gilbert last night instead... was disappointed.

Up in Tucson now gonna give them a whirl, waiting for the Zemams African food place to open to get momma something then off to the pizza store! Hope it's good.

I'm glad this threads still going

19 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Up in Tucson now gonna give them a whirl, waiting for the Zemams African food place to open to get momma something then off to the pizza store! Hope it's good.

I'm glad this threads still going

Did you make it?

Hope you enjoyed it.

46 minutes ago, Chef said:

Did you make it?

Hope you enjoyed it.

I did it was pretty good, it's not "the one" though. I think I'd put it in the range of Brooklyn pizza on 4th Ave and rosattis thin crust.  I'll keep trying new ones based on this thread though.  

• Like 1

Not in show low but depending what route you take check out Florence A&M.  Very good pizza and subs are good also.  Its become a tradition for us when going that way.  But direct to show low for you it's out of the way. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Any updates in the show low area besides red devil? Reviving a great one here.

place is average at best, rather eat lions den wine burger everyday im up there LOL

9 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Not in show low but depending what route you take check out Florence A&M.  Very good pizza and subs are good also.  Its become a tradition for us when going that way.  But direct to show low for you it's out of the way. 

Been eating there for 20 plus years now .... very good food.