Sign in to follow this  
Heat

School Me on Blackhorn Powder? Is it worth it?

I am just getting started with Muzzleloaders and have seen this mentioned quite a bit. Seems maybe a little hotter and maybe more consistent than other powder. Also hear you can shoot without cleaning after each shot, which may or may not be the case with something like 777? Can you guys share your experience with it and if you think its worth 3 or 4 times more than other loose powder?

My only experience is with White Hots so far which work but I have heard they come apart sometimes. No experience with that yet but did see some in a package that were breaking apart once.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Blackhorn is the way to go.Its non corrosive so you can use standard gun cleaners.It uses less powder to get the same results as most pellets.You may need to see if your breach plug will work with blackhorn.The big advantage is being able to weigh the powder charge and get a consistent load and you can tailor it to your gun.Don't run by the marks for volume as they are known to be off and inconsistent.Blackhorn has a conversion chart that will tell you what you need by weight or volume to make a standard 100 gr charge .You are correct on not having to clean between shots it tends to shoot cleaner.I just wish I could run it in all my muzzleloaders some won't shoot it due to the breach plugs.

• Like 2

We have a CVA Wolf, probably should have mentioned that. I can buy a Blackhorn plug for it.

Thanks for sharing your opinion!

If I can get a good deal on some I will probably try it. Figure if I can score the 5# jug I will be set for a while.

The wolf is a good under rated gun. I shot my 6x5 bull elk with one .At 90 yds with 150 gr of pyrodex and a 338 Powerbelt platnium.He didn't take one step .It dumped him in his tracks.

• Like 1

Alright I am convinced to try some. Got some ordered for store pickup at Cabelas. If I like it I am going to try to score the big can somewhere.

If you can find it buy it. With a big IF. It shot super well out of my cva. But after 2020 I gave up and switched to 777 loose powder, it's not as good as blackhorn but it's better than nothing and consistently available and you still have more control over your load than pellets. Also make sure you buy 209 shotgun primers not muzzleloader primers.

• Like 1

I have CCI 209 Mags. Had a hard time finding primers for a while but have been buying them for $4.99 and bought the last one today. Have access to Cheddite Clerinox shotgun primers too.

Been trying to find that Blackhorn. Should have some coming for pickup to try but we'll see. Places back east and midwest are getting it on the shelves at Walmart for under $37. I have some 777 loose. People don't seem to be panic buying and hoarding that like the Blackhorn.

• Like 1

One kind forum member was willing to buy me some at Bass Pro but there was none left when he went to get it. Gone in less than 24 hours but probably didn't have much to start with. Some douchenozzle probably came in and bought it all.

Supposedly on the shelves in some Walmarts back east. Sent my inlaws on a wild goose chase to a store that showed stock online but when they got there of course the employees didn't have a clue what they were talking about. Probably in some container to be put out in the fall. Was hoping they could buy me some at a decent price and bring it this winter. No dice on that either.

I'll take ya'lls word for it that its worth it but seems impossible to get locally and I'm not going to be paying over $160 a pound to order it. I can get a pound of 777 loose for less than $40 with tax at more than one store locally. I'll shoot that until it makes sense to buy this magic dust.

Blackthorn is great, but for cleaning between shots I really like pyrodex. For me the pellets and powder by volume gave equal results out to 150yd

I have a CVA ACCURA LR and have spent many fun days/weeks during the last couple years at the range… barrel is still pristine and my patch cleaning solution is windex and IPA.

777 left a crazy crud ring I didn’t like and couldn’t easily clean at the range.

traded my half bottle of blackthorn a while ago because it was getting scarce and I’d just had excellent success with the pyrodex

fwiw the bullets that worked best for me were 250 and 300g honedy sst 

have a ton of fun and let us know how your shoulder feels if you shoot more than 20 shots during a session..

• Like 1

I picked up a few bottles of BH209 in Flagstaff this week but the price was $52.00 for 8 ounces, not $36.00 like they show on Brickseek. 20% less product for 40% more dollars than last year.  I hope i don't get monkeypox.

Lots of guys tout BH209 like it is a god send.  It is just the 6.5 creedmoor of muzzleloading.  Marginally better I agree, but for average ML shots, all the alternatives work really well.  I know plenty of animals that have died to the pre- measured pellets.  Nothing wrong with them unless they have rattled around for years and poweder has worn off the pellet.  Maybe I should have higher expectations out of my TC muzzleloader, but at 100 yards it shoots 2" groups all day with pellets and loose 777.  

With the seasons approaching quickly, I would use whatever you can acquire easily and start developing a load that works for you.  

• Like 1

Finally found some online that wasn't as high as ordering from Hodgman. Also had my inlaws pick some up to bring me this winter. They found it in their local Walmart. Supposed to have an order for pickup at Cabela's with some Blackhorn in it but I am not holding my breath on that one. I should be good for a little while. Thanks for the input guys.