Sign in to follow this  
tanclan4

Question on ABU Ambassaduer reel and Garcia Rod

Any old fishing gurus out there that would know anything about this reel and rod combo? 
ABU Ambassaduer 5000 and Garcia Conolon rod? Probably the prettiest reel I’ve ever owned! Lol

What I’ve found is The serial #863806 should tell me the date but can’t find anything on this one. Looking at others that are similar the serial # doesn’t jive with a particular year. 
Thanks 

11442BDB-B4C6-4D2A-B8A3-E76E89E1EEE8.jpeg

3C533D83-9324-4FC3-B948-2611FDC50759.jpeg

3C5CE32A-9A4E-4D73-BF3E-51838A6C0F33.jpeg

1FFA1AA7-353F-4B45-B206-932F46346D18.jpeg

F35A0957-5975-4884-B9EF-DDEAFB5222CD.jpeg

I bought the same reel about 35 years ago, still going strong. Mine is Gold. I bet if you call Dave’s feel service in Illinois he can answer any questions. I packed up three of my reel including my ABU and had him go through all of them. They came back as nice mechanically as the day they were made.

• Like 1

I bought one new over 45 years ago.  Never did learn to cast with it, all I did was try to clean out birds nests.  Gave it to my grandad for trolling in Maine. Went back to spinning reels. They are sharp looking reels.

• Like 2

Thanks I’ll get ahold of him! 
yeah I was trying it out in the pool and I’m not very good at casting with these reels, I’m more a Spider-Man zebco reel! Lol

They are good looking reels! 

I just sent mine in to abu Garcia and they had great customer service and changed a bunch of parts on it for me, that’s another good option also

25 minutes ago, tanclan4 said:

I sent an email to Dave’s Reel service 
I’ll be sending the reel in for cleaning

Thanks again! 

• Like 1

Thanks again Phil for the info on David’s Reel service, I sent him pics and info and he said it looked well taken care of and from the early 70’s. I’m sending it to him for a thorough cleaning

Thanks Guys! 

Does it have the worm gear  and line guide on it that runs from side to side to keep the line even when you reel it in?

So I sent it to Dave’s reel service and he said it was barely used and in great condition, serviced for $40 plus shipping. I’m waiting for it to arrive in the mail and start learning how to bird nest my line up! Lol

thanks for all the advice 

Tony 

1 hour ago, tanclan4 said:

So I sent it to Dave’s reel service and he said it was barely used and in great condition, serviced for $40 plus shipping. I’m waiting for it to arrive in the mail and start learning how to bird nest my line up! Lol

thanks for all the advice 

Tony 

The brake should be the knob on the opposite side of the handle. Put about a 1/2 weight on the line, put it in free spool and adjust the brake so the weight stops falling. That should take care of 90% of backlash.

Cast it a half dozen times to get the feel for it then back it off a tiny bit and cast it a few more time and you will get more distance. Just repeat that until you can cast farther without any backlash. Watch the weight and when it hits the water stop the spool with your thumb.  Cast with the wind at your back. If you have to cast into the wind tighten the brake.

• Like 2

I've been trying to learn to cast this kind of reel. Almost as aggravating as golf. I'm getting better with practice. 

• Haha 2