kbaugh59

Unit 29 Success!

This was my son-in-law's first Coues. Unit 29, up around 8000 feet, difficult recovery, but well worth the effort. 75 yards, 30-06, 150 gr, about 7:45am, Saturday 25th. When we first spotted him, I asked "Do you want to look for something bigger?" His reply, "Are you kidding?" BOOM! Beautiful little fork!

post-671-1225134587_thumb.jpg

There will be some fine eating there. Congrats. :)

TJ

Congratulations on your first coues . 29 can be tuff , I hunted there a couple years ago but I stayed around 5000 ft , maybe I shoulda went higher .

All the AZDFG stuff I read said to go high--but I killed one not too many years back not too far past the Cave Creek Center for Conservation & Biodiversity--Doesn't get much lower than that. We went high 1st and saw zilch.

On opening day we hunted in the Jhus Canyon area, down low, didn't see anything, so we decided to try an area we hadn't ever gone to before, worked out this time! Next year, who knows? The lower areas are definitely easier to hunt in my experience.

Thanks for all the comments! :rolleyes:

How was the area down there? I heard the Portal area has received lots of rain so I suspect the grass to be over 4ft tall.

Yeah, I was curious about that too. I'll be down there Nov.28 :rolleyes: