Sign in to follow this  
AZ7maghunter

6.5CM light recoil load

Does anyone have experience with a light recoiling handload for 6.5CM? I have a new shooter and want to get some reps in at 200 yards and in. I know that caliber doesn’t recoil much to begin with but, I’m in the camp that believes the least amount of recoil, the better. 
I’ve thought about loading the 95gr vMaxs but, I’ve heard they aren’t that accurate. 

I appreciate any thoughts and recipes. 

I know it’s not what you asked, but I went with factory loads and a brake on my daughter’s 6.5. She even lets me use it sometimes. LoL

• Thanks 1

A light recoil load out of a creedmoor will probably bounce off of a paper target. 

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, AZ7maghunter said:

Does anyone have experience with a light recoiling handload for 6.5CM? I have a new shooter and want to get some reps in at 200 yards and in. I know that caliber doesn’t recoil much to begin with but, I’m in the camp that believes the least amount of recoil, the better. 
I’ve thought about loading the 95gr vMaxs but, I’ve heard they aren’t that accurate. 

I have the new Hornady manual setting in front of me, what powders do you have?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 452b264 said:

I have the new Hornady manual setting in front of me, what powders do you have?

I have win staball 6.5, win 760, BL-c (2), h335, h1000. That’s all I got right now. 

3 minutes ago, AZ7maghunter said:

I have win staball 6.5, win 760, BL-c (2), h335, h1000. That’s all I got right now. 

6.5 STaBALL starting load is 38.1 grs./2400 fps Max load is 43.7 grs. / 2750 fps for 140 gr./ 143 gr bullets

3 minutes ago, 452b264 said:

6.5 STaBALL starting load is 38.1 grs./2400 fps Max load is 43.7 grs. / 2750 fps for 140 gr./ 143 gr bullets

Do you have much experience with the minimum loads? 

27 minutes ago, bigorange said:

I know it’s not what you asked, but I went with factory loads and a brake on my daughter’s 6.5. She even lets me use it sometimes. LoL

I have a brake on my 7mag but it’s so loud. How’s the noise on a 6.5 with a brake? 

Just now, AZ7maghunter said:

Do you have much experience with the minimum loads? 

Start  at the minimum charge weight load three rounds of each up to where you think it might kick to much say in the middle of the charge weight.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AZ7maghunter said:

I have a brake on my 7mag but it’s so loud. How’s the noise on a 6.5 with a brake? 

I had a break on my 6.5 cm and it was also loud but they make a set of $7 dollar ear plugs sold at the sportsmans warehouse that stay wrapped around your neck. I shot a buck 6.4 miles from the truck, boned it out and packed it out, when I made it back to the truck I realized they were still around my neck. 

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/shooting-equipment/ear-protection/walkers-protek-plug-neckband-passive-earplugs-black/p/1500714

3 minutes ago, 452b264 said:

I had a break on my 6.5 cm and it was also loud but they make a set of $7 dollar ear plugs sold at the sportsmans warehouse that stay wrapped around your neck. I shot a buck 6.4 miles from the truck, boned it out and packed it out, when I made it back to the truck I realized they were still around my neck. 

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/shooting-equipment/ear-protection/walkers-protek-plug-neckband-passive-earplugs-black/p/1500714

I’ve shot at plenty so animals without my plugs in. I only recently even started bringing them hunting. I’ve found myself saying “what” a lot lately. So I’m trying to preserve the hearing I have left haha. 

1 hour ago, AZ7maghunter said:

My CM shot 2/2.5 inch groups at 514 to 600 yards with 140 class bullets, if its going slow it will have excellent bullet performance inside of 200 yards with 130/140 class bullets. I like the 140s

13 minutes ago, 452b264 said:

My CM shot 2/2.5 inch groups at 514 to 600 yards with 140 class bullets, if its going slow it will have excellent bullet performance inside of 200 yards with 130/140 class bullets. I like the 140s

Nice. That’s quite the group.

I have plenty of 143gr eld-x’s. I want to find a cheaper/more available bullet to plink around. 
have you used that Win staBall 6.5 powder? It’s actually available at sportsman’s. 

2 hours ago, AZ7maghunter said:

Nice. That’s quite the group.

I have plenty of 143gr eld-x’s. I want to find a cheaper/more available bullet to plink around. 
have you used that Win staBall 6.5 powder? It’s actually available at sportsman’s. 

I have used it and it had good Es, velocity and accuracy. I do prefer RL 16 though.