Sign in to follow this  
muledeerarea33?

Best re saw band saw?

Looking to resaw a bunch of pallet oak to make wall covering. What’s the best resaw solution you come up with? Looking at a band saw, grizzly mostly. Not running a business but will use it for a few years I think.

If going the bandsaw route, be sure it has a high enough horsepower motor to do what you want, especially since you mentioned resawing oak. Resaw blades generally have large teeth to hog out a lot of material (avg 3 teeth per inch), so you'll need some decent power behind it. Since it sounds like this is for occasional use, I'd be looking at no less than a 1hp motor and a 2hp being even better. As for using pallet wood a cheap metal detector wand will pay for itself... nothing dulls a bandsaw blade quicker than metal. Hope that helps. 

• Like 2

A 12" planer will be handy for this even if you just use it to remove cupping on the wall side of the boards so they lay flat. 

Of course a joiner will help keep your widths consistent (helpful as you stack your wall) and if you just want the re-sawn look consider a wire wheel on a 4" grinder.  

Apologies if TMI, but painting your wall flat black before starting will help avoid the wall showing through any gaps.

Have fun, sounds like a cool project! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

are you looking to break down the pallets or cut upnthe peices after?

i have done this.  sawsall breaks them down really well.  

No for breaking them down but for getting 1/4” thick pieces out of the planks.

Couldn't you un cup with a with an electric handplane then rip them vertically with a table saw? You would probably get only 2 pieces out of each but seems easier maybe

3 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Couldn't you un cup with a with an electric handplane then rip them vertically with a table saw? You would probably get only 2 pieces out of each but seems easier maybe

I’m hoping to get two out of one. Some of these planks are over 1/2” thick. Cupping or warpage isn’t a huge issue since they’ll be glued to the wall.