Sign in to follow this  
noahwarren18

Unit 31 December Tag - Tips for Starting Out

Hey y'all, me and my cousin both drew December unit 31 tags for this upcoming season. We have never hunted that area before, and I heard this forum was an awesome resource for hunters trying to kill deer in new areas. We are out of Kearny, and plan on doing several scouting trips ahead of the hunt. I'm a little daunted by the unit as I have no reference point for where to start. If anyone can help me out and recommend some roads we could start out on and go from there! Thank you!

I would start by checking-out the unit info on the G&F website.  Then, since you're in Kearny and it's fairly close, I would start doing some scouting trips to get the lay of the land.  Once you have some info to share, maybe post here.  At that point, you might find someone willing to connect with you and share some tips or info on their experience in the unit.

Bottom line, IMO;  Start with G&F site, then put some work in.  THEN ask for some help.  ;)

Good luck!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, stanley said:

I would start by checking-out the unit info on the G&F website.  Then, since you're in Kearny and it's fairly close, I would start doing some scouting trips to get the lay of the land.  Once you have some info to share, maybe post here.  At that point, you might find someone willing to connect with you and share some tips or info on their experience in the unit.

Bottom line, IMO;  Start with G&F site, then put some work in.  THEN ask for some help.  ;)

Good luck!

What he said. Invest your own time, and people will be MUCH more likely to help

• Like 1

The 3 of the 4 biggest WT i have ever seen were in 31. Of course I was looking for a ram at the time. A really really good 4wd helps in that unit (for me it did).

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 2:46 PM, noahwarren18 said:

Hey y'all, me and my cousin both drew December unit 31 tags for this upcoming season. We have never hunted that area before, and I heard this forum was an awesome resource for hunters trying to kill deer in new areas. We are out of Kearny, and plan on doing several scouting trips ahead of the hunt. I'm a little daunted by the unit as I have no reference point for where to start. If anyone can help me out and recommend some roads we could start out on and go from there! Thank you!

Being from Kearney I imagine you could get lots of scouting trips in. The "panhandle" of 31 is really close to you and is a the furthest from me. I have hunted 31 almost exclusively over the years for WT and have never made it off the Pinalenos (everyone calls it Mount Graham)! LOL. Aravaipa, the Santa Teresa's interest me but I have never made it over there.
Don't be a stranger and welcome to CWT noahwarren18!

Jeff

• Like 1

I have hunted in 35B forever with a couple hunts in 32. The Santa Teresa Wilderness has always caught my eye. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 2:53 PM, cjl2010 said:

Follow the starting points here as already mentioned. Once you’re in these areas, like wish2hunt said, start glassing and get a good sense for what is around. Focus on areas with small drainages and food. Never hunted 31 but WT are called grey ghosts for a reason. Be diligent in your glassing and you absolutely need a tripod to be effective. Please post about your hunting trip, we love it when a newcomer follows up with their hunting trip—even if it doesn’t end in success! Good luck 😃

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 7:36 PM, wish2hunt said:

A4B628C3-DA67-4359-82B7-17588A0451A6.thumb.jpeg.a29809014461dbc203400d271250e9b4.jpegIf you put the work in this could be your reward.

Impressive bucks.  Scores and stories?

Thanks