Sign in to follow this  
Yuma Outdoorsman

Monsoon Rain

They will shut water off to the farmers if something doesn't change. A corn crop in AZ takes somewhere between 5 and 6 acre feet of water per acre.Takes a bunch of water. Alfalfa and cotton have similar water needs if they use conventional irrigation systems

25 minutes ago, creed said:

They will shut water off to the farmers if something doesn't change. A corn crop in AZ takes somewhere between 5 and 6 acre feet of water per acre.Takes a bunch of water. Alfalfa and cotton have similar water needs if they use conventional irrigation systems

I work in the ag industry. The water is getting tight and they are already feeling the wrath. The acreage that people are willing to farm are being cut due to water and farming expenses.  One other interesting thing I heard was that some "business folks" have approached growers about being paid to leave their ground fallow. They were being offered some pretty substantial amounts of money to not grow anything. Tempting for a farmer who would be paid what his normal contract would be from a shipper to grow for them, Only this would be 100% profit and no grower costs (labor, gas, seed, fertilizer, spray, etc.)....This is the first I've ever heard of it in my area but I heard it's been attempted in the past in other places, mainly California. With all the fires across the country at food processing plants, there are some concerning issues between both food and water going on. 

2 hours ago, Coach said:

In Lakeside, this has been one of the best monsoons we've had in a while. Raining almost daily and the ground is soaked. Got a Unit 1 bull tag and for sure the tops are going well. 

Bulls are gonna be huge in 1, good luck. My buddy from BR has it also. 

54 minutes ago, Yuma Outdoorsman said:

I work in the ag industry. The water is getting tight and they are already feeling the wrath. The acreage that people are willing to farm are being cut due to water and farming expenses.  One other interesting thing I heard was that some "business folks" have approached growers about being paid to leave their ground fallow. They were being offered some pretty substantial amounts of money to not grow anything. Tempting for a farmer who would be paid what his normal contract would be from a shipper to grow for them, Only this would be 100% profit and no grower costs (labor, gas, seed, fertilizer, spray, etc.)....This is the first I've ever heard of it in my area but I heard it's been attempted in the past in other places, mainly California. With all the fires across the country at food processing plants, there are some concerning issues between both food and water going on. 

I was a corn/cotton grower. We started having water issues with the feds and CAP water around 2000. Between developers and water shortages ag is a dying industry in the southwest. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, creed said:

I was a corn/cotton grower. We started having water issues with the feds and CAP water around 2000. Between developers and water shortages ag is a dying industry in the southwest. 

Sad but true. 

1 hour ago, creed said:

Unfortunately some areas have already nearly been shut off. Hohokam irrigation district in pinal county is down to less than .6 acre feet per acre allotement this year I believe. Hardly enough to do anything sadly. 

6 hours ago, AZ Free Man said:

Unfortunately some areas have already nearly been shut off. Hohokam irrigation district in pinal county is down to less than .6 acre feet per acre allotement this year I believe. Hardly enough to do anything sadly. 

Harquahala shut down 2 weeks ago. Without ag it won’t take long to change deer patterns in a big chunk of 41

On 8/15/2022 at 5:07 AM, creed said:

Harquahala shut down 2 weeks ago. Without ag it won’t take long to change deer patterns in a big chunk of 41

All those farm hunting road hunters aren't going to know what to do when they have to go find deer in the desert. It's a little different hunting when they aren't coming/leaving on the same trails every morning and evenings. 

• Like 3