Sign in to follow this  
brent

Fishing big island HI need recommendations

I am headed to the big island the first week of september. We will be spending time on all parts of the island. Does anyone know if the fishing is good at that time? Im not picky what we go after. If you have any recommendations for a boat I would appreciate it!

Fishing in Hawaii is mediocre at best from my understanding. it’s expensive, and you don’t get to keep any fish you catch. But there’s always a chance for a a giant blue marlin, which would be worth it to me. I’d look up Kaiwi Joe on social media and go with him. 

buy a rod and reel while you’re there and fish from the shore. Do lots of snorkeling. 

• Like 2

Definitely will want to go out of Kona.  Literally have lines in the water the second you leave the harbor(No 8 hours boat rides each way like in San Diego).  Anytime of the year is good for some species, guessing you will get some wahoo and ahi.  Been on a handful of boats but they change captains and crews frequently, so don't have any advice there.  Pick a 4 or 6 pack and go!

Can shore fish off South Point.  Good luck getting them up that cliff!

My wife, in-laws and I were there last April and went out of Kona. We were fishing for Ono mainly. The last hour or so we went to deeper water in the off chance we could hook a marlin but no dice. All in all, it was still a beautiful day out on the water and it was cool getting to see a bit of the island by sea

Do an all-day trip.  Half day trips are not worth it.  

We booked a smaller private boat, like a 35' I think, and it was amazing.  Scored a couple blue Marlin, a 188 and 390#.  Not toads, but plenty big for me and an 11-year-old daughter to fight for an hour each.  Plus, the captain called a local restaurant from the boat, and they met us at the dock, and bought the fish.  The captain split it with us, and that paid for half our day!

• Like 2

Kona has actually some of the best fishing. They also have great marlin fishing. Usually june july are best for marlin. Ono and mahi are good fishing there. We went with firehatt and it is a husband and wife team. He will let you keep what you want in the catch. They have a great reputation. You have full access to the whole biat even up in captains area. Alot of the boats will not let you up with captain.

If you are into spear fishing, I just went with a guide on the big island a week ago and it was awesome but I've gone spear fishing 4 times before. It takes a pretty specific skill set and has kind of a steep learning curve, for the obvious reasons of: the swimming/snorkeling with waves, diving with a wetsuit and weight belt, ear equalization, holding your breath, the spear gun, and not being scared of sharks lol. But it is a blast, especially in Hawaii with the water clarity and abundance of fish. I got a 12 lb Omilu (bluefin travalley) and a nice Roi(Peacock Grouper) at close to 40 feet deep along with other easier to come by catches. We even got a chinese place to cook up the Omilu for us that night, yum.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, SunDevil said:

Best place to potentially catch a “grander” in the entire world 

Nah, maybe year round. Certainly not seasonally. azores and Cape Verde, way better odds 

5 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Fishing in Hawaii is mediocre at best from my understanding. it’s expensive, and you don’t get to keep any fish you catch. But there’s always a chance for a a giant blue marlin, which would be worth it to me. I’d look up Kaiwi Joe on social media and go with him. 

buy a rod and reel while you’re there and fish from the shore. Do lots of snorkeling. 

That’s what I was told when we were there as well.  We went with a buddy in Maui.  Caught a mahi and my wife fought a giant blue marlin for about an hour and a half.  They figured it was 700#.  That was fun.  Definitely not the place to go if you wanna catch a bunch of fish.  It’s really expensive compared to other charters I’ve been on as well.  

• Like 1