Sign in to follow this  
EagleEye

Fatal 4x4 accident “stuck truck”

Not sure if you guys already seen this, sad story, AZ resident,

receiver hitch failed went right at him

good lessons on what equipment to use when your truck gets stuck.

• Like 2

You don't use the hitch. You pull the hitch out and put the loop of the strap in the tube and secure the hitch pin thru the loop. 

Then you out a heavy jacket, blanket, or something if possible on the strap or winch line. 

• Like 3

Very sad.

Great video and always stay out of the line of fire!

Jeff

• Like 1

Floor mats work good for weight on a strap. I have a warn kit that has a heavy cable mat. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

You don't use the hitch. You pull the hitch out and put the loop of the strap in the tube and secure the hitch pin thru the loop. 

Then you out a heavy jacket, blanket, or something if possible on the strap or winch line. 

I know an EMT that was on this call. He sent me some info on recovery of stuck vehicles. Using the pin was one thing they said NOT to use. 

1 hour ago, thegunsmith2506 said:

I know an EMT that was on this call. He sent me some info on recovery of stuck vehicles. Using the pin was one thing they said NOT to use. 

The ball or the pin?

The hitch pin is in double shear and rated to take the weight of pulling trailers. It also won't become a large projectile if it breaks like the ball or hitch would if it breaks. There are better options than the pin if you have dedicated recovery gear, but how many people really have that all the time. 

Everyone who has a hitch has the pin, and using the pin is going to be much safer than using the hitch or ball. 

Even if the pin breaks it weighs like 6 oz, and is not in a direct path with the strap. A ball or in this case the hitch weighs alot more and is in a direct line with the direction of pull. The ball is also in a single shear configuration which isn't good.

• Like 2

I saw it posted maybe a week ago. Sad. I saw a show on cable a while ago where they were using a chain to pull out a vehicle and when it broke it hit the windshield also.

10 hours ago, ctafoya said:

Floor mats work good for weight on a strap. I have a warn kit that has a heavy cable mat. 

I'd have my mother in law straddle that cable long before I d risk soiling my floor mats. Besides, I think she'd like the fresh air and being a part of the action.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

The ball or the pin?

The hitch pin is in double shear and rated to take the weight of pulling trailers. It also won't become a large projectile if it breaks like the ball or hitch would if it breaks. There are better options than the pin if you have dedicated recovery gear, but how many people really have that all the time. 

Everyone who has a hitch has the pin, and using the pin is going to be much safer than using the hitch or ball. 

Even if the pin breaks it weighs like 6 oz, and is not in a direct path with the strap. A ball or in this case the hitch weighs alot more and is in a direct line with the direction of pull. The ball is also in a single shear configuration which isn't good.

I did exactly that in a pinch years ago. I was trying to pull a guy out in a high boy Chevy with my skid steer. His wife was watching and said the drop hitch was flexing! I got out and it had bent it a tad,  we were lucky because my dumb butt would have kept yanking! Our guess was the pin was the better bet too. Not ideal but worked.  A lot of hitches are only 3/16 square tube. No match for putting that kind of force at the bottom of a drop hitch! 

• Like 1

Wow, I read the story on the GFMe acct. His wife and kids were in the truck when the hitch struck him. Can't begin to imagine the horror they went thru. 

5 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

The ball or the pin?

I think the point they were making was you shouldn't attach to the hitch at all. I have always used the pin. I'll try and find the website.