Sign in to follow this  
creed

forest service and 30 foot rule

I had a guy tell me that the Kaibab FS is cracking down on camps over the 2 week limit and enforcing dispersed camping rules. Anyone had any issues? I have an elk hunt coming up and have usually camped in old established camps without problems. If they are enforcing rules that can  make it difficult depending where I am hunting. I think the 30 foot/300 foot rule is stupid. Campsites that have been used for years are now closed if they want to enforce it.

I'm a huge proponent on cracking down on the 2 week rule - the woods should not be free storage and we all have gone up 2, 3 + weeks apart and seen the same abandon trailer sitting there.  Those jerks dominating those spots puts more pressure on new spots to be 'opened up' and more and more habitat misused or people pulling in and camping on top of you - not my idea of fun either.  Tkt them after 2 and tow after 3 if you ask me.  

• Like 17

This guy said it was because of squatters that they were starting to enforce the two week rule. I know where I live out in the desert they are all over the place. Doesn’t matter who owns the land if they wanna throw up their tent or junk camp trailer they do it. If they’re there any time at all it’s heck getting them off 

We got hit in unit 5A a few years back in a heavily used camp, this ranger lady had her a new shiny range finder and made us move the horse trailer 20 ft closer to the road. We camped there 25 plus times and never heard anything ever again. 

The squatting camp spots is a real bummer though, I get it but when you get the last crappy camp hole on a F.R. and camp for 5 days and the 5 trailers in the good spots sit empty the whole trip it really wears on the nurves. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

What is the 30' and 300' rule? I don't think I've even heard of it.

From the Coconino NF website

When car camping on the National Forest, do not drive your vehicle more than 30-feet from the side of designated roads to camp, except in designated camping corridors shown on the Motor Vehicle Use Map (free at Forest Service locations). In designated camping corridors, one can drive up to 300 feet from the road to car camp. These rules only affect motor vehicle use. Forest visitors can always hike to campsites at farther distances from the roads.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

We got hit in unit 5A a few years back in a heavily used camp, this ranger lady had her a new shiny range finder and made us move the horse trailer 20 ft closer to the road. We camped there 25 plus times and never heard anything ever again. . 

And then went on a trail ride with her and her horse Harley the very next day lol.

26 minutes ago, Newbie2012 said:

The squatters and homeless have overtaken the forest around Flagstaff. I have no problem with the 2 week rule.  

Nor do I. I think it should  be enforced.

The 30 foot rule sucks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

What is the 30' and 300' rule? I don't think I've even heard of it.

Really? It was a long thread when it was announced a few years ago. Lots of hoopla and whining. Bunch of BS.

30 foot rule is as bad as the motor vehicle use map. The 2 inch by 2 inch road closed stickers work real well. Might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen them do. What happened to blading the front of the road and putting a 4 foot sign in the middle of the road? Seems like they used to do it that way and now they expect everyone to know which roads are open and closed. I'm sorry but your 2 inch sticker is useless. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1