Sign in to follow this  
Coueser

Hunt near residential building

What is the law in AZ again for hunting near residential buildings?  I'm looking for it but can't find it. Is it that you cannot discharge a firearm within 400 yards of a structure unless you have written permission?

You can check AZGFD.com for official wording. Basically 1/4mi = 440yrd away from tenable structures for all firearms, and now includes all archery, unless you have consent from the owner. 

• Like 2

Here is official wording. Written permission is not a requirement. 

783F656A-6CE2-46B9-8D62-625CDC381C64.jpeg

• Like 1

interesting  twist -does  anyone know what is the rule if the shot is further than 1/4 mile away but the animal wasn't? Do both have to be 1/4 mile? 

27 minutes ago, Redman said:

interesting  twist -does  anyone know what is the rule if the shot is further than 1/4 mile away but the animal wasn't? Do both have to be 1/4 mile? 

I can see it now…“I was 500 yds away and shot the buck in that backyard…no problem!” 😁

• Like 1

I agree it’s an interesting twist though and probably up for debate and interpretation. It doesn’t specifically mention the animal’s location…so I’m sure a defense lawyer would argue it’s only the hunter’s location. 

1 hour ago, Redman said:

Not written in stone, I asked this very question to a warden on an Antelope hunt.  Her repsonse was, if your arrow comes closer than 440 during the shot, it is illegal.  It is the only warden I have ever posed this question to, so take it for what it's worth.  

It makes things easier when the WM rolls up if you have written permission with the land or homeowner(s)’ name(s), address(es) and phone number(s) on the note. Also, you need that same permission from every owner within the 1/4 mile of your hunt location if there is more than one home or structure. The WMs that work our area during dove and quail season also include farm structures as there could be folks working on equipment in or around them. 

11 hours ago, SunDevil said:

But if you have permission than the 1/4 does not apply?

For that particular structure, would not apply. 

Idea is to keep you and your projectiles and pointy sticks more than a 1/4 mile away.

Looks like it's gonna be a fantastic quail season. I drove past a covey last week that hand hundreds of birds in it. Literally 300 yards of wall to wall quail.

3 minutes ago, Edge said:

Looks like it's gonna be a fantastic quail season. I drove past a covey last week that hand hundreds of birds in it. Literally 300 yards of wall to wall quail.

Such good news.  I haven't seen it like this since hunting Baja.