Sign in to follow this  
CouesFanatic

Archery Kills rolling in already

Im in California this week. But I reported in 3 times, as California law allows voting early and often. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sky Island junkie said:

I can’t speak for unit 1 but as for the units I hunted as a youngster I believe the numbers and quality was a lot higher then and if I only knew then what I know now.....

I’m not sure how to address this quote

i mean there’s been plenty of book stuff killed the last 20 years 

and unit 1 is way better than it used to be. 3c as well more deer, 3b more deer. Never been but sounds like 7, 9, 10 are doing really well on deer. Desert units producing giant bucks. A 290 was killed in the desert a few years ago.  There’s been giant bulls killed. 300” strip deer. Some of the biggest coues ever have been killed recently Maybe you’re not looking in the right spots. 

matter of fact, what unit is worse off now than it was in the late 80s? I can’t think of any. 

edit: aravaipa ram peaked about 1990. 

The numbers of animals in the later 80s &early 90s were WAY more than now.  It may not be reflected in the books, as things have changed drastically with technology since then, but as far as numbers it’s no comparison.  

I keep hoping we will go into a 10-20 year wet cycle again so those kind of numbers might come back. It was awesome. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

and unit 1 is way better than it used to be. 3c as well more deer, 3b more deer. Never been but sounds like 7, 9, 10 are doing really well on deer. Desert units producing giant bucks. A 290 was killed in the desert a few years ago.  There’s been giant bulls killed. 300” strip deer. Some of the biggest coues ever have been killed recently Maybe you’re not looking in the right spots. 

matter of fact, what unit is worse off now than it was in the late 80s? I can’t think of any. 

Yeah there will always be trophies found and killed. Those monsters lived then as well, probably many more. Truth be told how many of the monsters nowadays are killed by a posse of guys with 150k of optics and atvs etc. But anyhow, my good old days comment came fresh off of last year where I put my wife and myself in separate for non premium wt tags in so az and couldn’t get one tag. First time in over 30 years. Yeah gimme some cheese with my whine! 

6 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

I can’t speak for the rest of the state, but numbers wise, the desert I hunt doesn’t have any where close to the number of deer it had even in the 90’s. As a kid, I could remember seeing giant herds of does and young bucks. I’m talking multiple herds of 20-30+ deer and now days if you see a herd of 5-7 deer that’s a big herd and rarely do you see more than one or two herds during a hunt. The difference between now and then is everything is on the internet now so things appear better but that’s not the case across the board, in my opinion. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Yuma Outdoorsman said:

I can’t speak for the rest of the state, but numbers wise, the desert I hunt doesn’t have any where close to the number of deer it had even in the 90’s. As a kid, I could remember seeing giant herds of does and young bucks. I’m talking multiple herds of 20-30+ deer and now days if you see a herd of 5-7 deer that’s a big herd and rarely do you see more than one or two herds during a hunt. The difference between now and then is everything is on the internet now so things appear better but that’s not the case across the board, in my opinion. 

The western desert units are a train wreck compared to 25 years ago both quality and quantity. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

IMO 24A for sure, 27 was absolutely crawling with deer, 23 was better too. In unit 1 you'd see 30 deer a day just driving up to Big Lake and on to Buffalo Crossing. Dirt road to BL back then. Just my personal experience. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Newbie2012 said:

Im sure there will be a lot of people out now with the “race to tag out” before the unit closes. It’s a whole new dynamic. I rarely went out in August due to the heat, but feel I better get a few days in now. Doubt the unit I’m hunting(very low quota) will ever see a January hunt again. 

The quota system is going to decrease opportunity. it looks like some units are going to close quickly which IMO will push hunters into open units which will just create more overcrowding. I can't wait to see what the late desert hunts are going to look like. 

Something else, this is a very wet summer. I wonder how quickly some of these quotas are going to be met in dry years when every waterhole has a guy sitting on it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tanner W said:

Pretty shitty website on mobile with the double scroll 

They made it in Wordpress. 🤣 Didn't even change the icon.

30-40 years ago we’d see bachelor groups of 6-8 velvet bucks in unit 1 when fishing up there. We camped at Wynn for a few days and had a group of bucks feeding within 100 yards of camp with not a care while we cooked burgers. So wasn’t surprised to see 8 on the ground yesterday. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, galiuro mountain man said:

I have a question for anyone that went out today.  Does it seem like there is more, less or about the same amount of people hunting?  I just wonder if the limits made more people go.  

I was in 21 yesterday saw 2 bucks. Only saw 4 other hunters.

7 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

IMO, you are way off.  I wasn't around in the early 80's, but everyone I talk to says there were ALOT more deer.  I know for a fact that 12a is a completely different unit than it used to be.  Have you seen the tag cuts? Both quality and quantity are far below where they used to be.   Sure a big buck or 2 get killed each year, but overall, quality down too.   

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

IMO, you are way off.  I wasn't around in the early 80's, but everyone I talk to says there were ALOT more deer.  I know for a fact that 12a is a completely different unit than it used to be.  Have you seen the tag cuts? Both quality and quantity are far below where they used to be.   Sure a big buck or 2 get killed each year, but overall, quality down too.   

Everyone remembers The best days. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coach said:

IMO 24A for sure, 27 was absolutely crawling with deer, 23 was better too. In unit 1 you'd see 30 deer a day just driving up to Big Lake and on to Buffalo Crossing. Dirt road to BL back then. Just my personal experience. 

24a still is crawling with deer though. 

• Like 1