Snapshot

Short trip to unit 27.....Continued.

Here's the story. I will post pic's tommorrow.

For those of you that read my other post you know my boss gave me the last two days of my hunt off. Tuesday night I got food and my gear together and planned on leaving at 1:00 a.m Wednsday morning, I finally left at almost 2:00 a.m after a meager two hours of sleep. So after 5 hours of driving and 3 monster energy drinks later I arrived at my honey hole at 6:45.

The area I wanted to hunt consists of three drainages that taper into one creek bottom, and the spot I wanted to go was about a mile and a half back in where I have seen good bucks in past years. The trail runs along the top of a ridge and drops off into a steep canyon. Five minutes down the trail I happen to look at the hillside across the canyon and see 4 bucks feeding about half way up the side. 1 big buck, 1 fork horn, and 2 spikes.

Man, I could not believe my luck. I quickly put down my pack, got out my range finder and lasered the biggest buck, it read 394 yards. No problem. I have taken a few deer at that range and a touch farther. I got into a sitting position and leaned the rifle against the tree and squeezed off a round. Whack! The deer ran into a patch of juniper.

I must admit that I am not very proud of that first shot, as the deer limped out of tree's I could tell he had a leg wound, because of the angle, I had aimed a little lower than I should have to compensate. So I got a solid rest again and touched off the shot and could hear the telltale thump of a good hit. He must of fell or got into a patch of tree's as I could not see him again. I glassed the spot for twenty minutes and decided to go look.

I memorized some landmarks so I would not lose the spot and as I got up there I found him lying dead In a clearing that was blocked from my view by a patch of juniper. The second shot took him through the shoulder and angled back where the bullet stopped just in front of the rear quarter. I found the bullet lodged just under the hide while skinning him out.

When I saw the buck I was thinking that he might be a 100". I have not scored him yet but he has a 13 3/8" inside spread, 4" eyeguards, 6" G2's, but only 4 to 4 1/2" G3's, and maybe close to 17" main beams and decent mass.

So I was thinking to myself that I could get this deer to the top of the ridge I could bring my quad down the trail and load him up. So I drug the deer 300 yards down the hill to the creek bottom, and hiked out to get the quad. When I got back I started to drag the deer up the side of the ridge, 25 feet at a time. Man what was I thinking? This was the fattest big bodied Coues I have ever seen. I finally got him to the top of the ridge. I think I lost 5 pounds in the process. I am no weakling, but it took me 5 tries to get this fatboy onto the back of my quad.

I shot the buck at 7:15 and had him hanging by noon. I was wiped out.

All I can say is that I think my Dad was smiling down at me yesterday as I have never been that lucky on a hunt before. Most of my animals required alot of hard work. This is an area that my Dad and I used to hunt alot for mule deer in years past and I saw some big whitetail in there, and this is the first time I have been able to hunt there since my Dad passed away in 2006. This one is for him! :)

On my way out today I stopped along Eagle Creek road to get a cold soda out of the cooler, and a rancher stopped and asked what I was hunting, and I told him "Whitetail" he said "do you have your lion tag" and told him "not this trip" and he said " the rule for hunting unit 27, is you have to have a lion tag" He was very nice, but I could tell he doesn't like Mountain Lions even though he said this year was better than most as they only lost 4 calfs to lions.

I ran some string on him and came up with 95 3/8" gross. His shorter G3's and 15 3/4" main beams kept him from reaching that magical 100", but I am very happy with him regardless of score.

P.S - The reason I didn't bone the deer out on the spot is the flies and yellowjackets were so friggin thick because of the warm weather they were trying to carry my deer away before I could even gut it. I am very allergic to yellowjacket stings.

The deer was shot in the clearing in the middle of the picture from the spot the picture was taken

Unit 27 Coues country

My buck.

Glassing Thursday Morning with the "Ginoculars"

Eagle Creek in fall splendor

Mitchell and Gray's peak from a distance

I agree with Christian!!!

Sounds like a little positive foreshadowing!

I might have to change my name to 'firstcoueswas100"

I have to get the film developed and get a picture cd. The only digital camera left in the house is broken, so I had to take my proffesional film rig.

I agree with Christian!!!

Sounds like a little positive foreshadowing!

I might have to change my name to 'firstcoueswas100"

I have to get the film developed and get a picture cd. The only digital camera left in the house is broken, so I had to take my proffesional film rig.

:angry: :(

:o :unsure:

;)

Filmed developed? Is that some kind of new fangled camera you got? Never heard of "film"

Filmed developed? Is that some kind of new fangled camera you got? Never heard of "film"

I have always been a film guy. I have a nice canon film rig, but I am saving to buy a new Canon G10 digital. Kodak loves me as I am one of the handful of people still buying film :)

Got to love hunts like that especially when your time was limited. Congrats on your buck, and can't wait to see some pics.

Brent, you bet your Dad was watching down with the biggest smile in the whole universe. Congratulations and I can't wait to see the pics. :D

TJ