Sign in to follow this  
andyyy

Side by sides/UTVs

Thinking of getting a vikingn or pioneer, have some reservations and want to hear your experiences

Seems worth it just in terms of not getting stuck anymore and wear and tear on the truck.

However, need a trailer for it. I have a 6.5x12 trailer, so that's not an issue. But do you find that the trailer limits you too much? A lot of roads you can pull off and unload the SXS pretty early, but do you frequently get stuck and unable to turn around?  I have never pulled a trailer around the woods/desert and am not particularly good at driving a trailer but figure that is fixed by practice. Do you feel like it's just more of a hassle than a benefit out in AZ?

Seems like the price on used buggies has fallen a lot now; they seem to sell for around NADA/KBB. Does that align with what others are seeing, too?

And lastly, insurance and cost of ownership; how much are you guys paying a year to keep these things?

I'll chime in.  Pulling a trailer doesn't limit you at all.  I have never had an issue of getting in and not being able to get out.  With a SxS, I rarely drive very far into the woods without unloading the SxS.  Why beat your body up in a pickup when a SxS is smooth.  As far as prices go, they, like everything else, are extremely high right now.  I am not convinced they will drop significantly any time soon.  They *should come down, but by how much, it's anyone's guess.  The cost of ownership depends on the machine I think.  I have a 2018 pioneer 1000-5 I bought new.  I have only changed the fluids so far.  Knock on wood, it has been bullet proof.  Insurance depends on what kind of coverage you want.  Full coverage runs about 700$ a year street legal.  Less than full coverage can be half that.  Depending on your financial situation, I think they are a great tool and have helped me get into some places I would have never attempted in my Pickup.  

• Like 2

I have owned both Yamaha and Honda. They are comparable machines. I traded my Honda in on a Viking and in many ways wish I had kept the Honda. Viking has more legroom and a bit more clearance but it’s very loud. The Honda has automatic transmission which was nice and much quieter. Leg room was a little more cramped but I have been told on the 1000’s they have added a bit more to that. As far as trailers  go I’ve never had an issue with one getting hung up. Just use a little common sense and you should have no issues. as to maintenance, keep the oil changed, clean air filter in it and there should be no problems with either one.

• Like 1

Input from existing SxS owners and forums will reveal a lot of thoughts you might not know before getting your new toy. I don’t think your asking for input on brands (the old Chevy vs Ford debates exist with SxS brands too), but whether to own this kind of vehicle. Regardless of what brand you seek, all SxS share common ownership issues. Are you a DIY oil/filter/transmission guy, or take it to a service dealer? Will you be using this on pavement or ONLY dirt? This determines how often you will go through knobby tires. Or maybe you go with street tires? Registration is significantly cheaper if you use only on dirt roads ($31.00/yr plus OHV tag). Insurance from Progressive is $75/yr. I do my own servicing, with factory fluids— saving money and on my time schedule; Shop Amazon for best pricing. I own trailers but find it more convenient, less cost, less footprint between trees/cactus, etc by using ramps and driving the truck into where I want to go (see pic). Then unload the SXS.  I believe both the Viking and Pioneer fit in width of a pickup truck. Do some research before making an impulse decision and you will be happy with this toy for recreation during the off season and getting you into the depths of where you want to hunt. There is no right answer. And you will become a better trailer driver, if you decide to go that route. Enjoy!!

86C278F8-C3BC-4B3A-9563-A5DFFD70D993.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys; definitely what I was looking for (whether guys that pulled the trigger regret it or not). Been thinking of getting one for a while now (every time I go calling or scouting, I wish I wasn't beating the vehicle I need to get me home up so much!), Was waiting for used prices to be more reasonable though. They're at the point where I'm ready to just buy now rather than wait. It would be a cash purchase with disposable income, so I'm not worried about having to sell it anytime soon.

Dirt roads only, I live in Phoenix so no reason to take it around on pavement, hunting areas are too far. Awesome to see the coverage for that kind of use is so cheap!

Trailer for sure, I don't think I'd get a flat bed just for this. I have very little experience driving with one, so I think most of my apprehension is just from a lack of experience behind the wheel

1 hour ago, andyyy said:

Thanks for the input guys; definitely what I was looking for (whether guys that pulled the trigger regret it or not). Been thinking of getting one for a while now (every time I go calling or scouting, I wish I wasn't beating the vehicle I need to get me home up so much!), Was waiting for used prices to be more reasonable though. They're at the point where I'm ready to just buy now rather than wait. It would be a cash purchase with disposable income, so I'm not worried about having to sell it anytime soon.

Dirt roads only, I live in Phoenix so no reason to take it around on pavement, hunting areas are too far. Awesome to see the coverage for that kind of use is so cheap!

Trailer for sure, I don't think I'd get a flat bed just for this. I have very little experience driving with one, so I think most of my apprehension is just from a lack of experience behind the wheel

It took me a few years to convince myself to buy one.  I haven't regretted it once.  Like you, I paid cash, so no payments.  My advice is get one, try it out for a year or 2.  Worst case scenario it costs you a grand or 2 to realize you don't want one.  Best case, you explore areas you wouldn't have before and find new honey holes.  The last 3 archery bucks I've killed, are in spots I would never have gone before I had my SxS.  

It's fun outfitting them the way you want to as well. I spent 2-4k on aftermarket upgrades or add-ons.  Mine I'd set up pretty good for what I use it for. 

Maybe I am missing something, but with all the talk of " . . . getting you into the depths of where you want to hunt . . ." where do you guys carry your camp? 

Do you have a support vehicle with bedrolls, water jugs, table, chairs, cots, stove, lanterns, ice chests, food, clothing, tarps, poles, dishes, portable radio, etc.? 

Do you go to motels? 

Come home every night? 

Have the RV pre-positioned?

Curious when I seen the trailers and pickups headed to the high country with no gear in sight - only the OHV.

45 minutes ago, forepaw said:

Curious when I seen the trailers and pickups headed to the high country with no gear in sight - only the OHV.

I don't have one but I manage to put my tent and all my gear in the back seat of my crewcab sans coolers, firewood and a propane bottle.

1 hour ago, forepaw said:

Speaking only for myself… I bumper pull a travel trailer as base camp with the SxS on rear of truck. I use the SxS for day trips and occasionally primitive overnight stays when I want to stay deep on the 2-tracks without disturbing game. A sleeping bag, dry food, and water is all you need. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, forepaw said:

Maybe I am missing something, but with all the talk of " . . . getting you into the depths of where you want to hunt . . ." where do you guys carry your camp? 

Do you have a support vehicle with bedrolls, water jugs, table, chairs, cots, stove, lanterns, ice chests, food, clothing, tarps, poles, dishes, portable radio, etc.? 

Do you go to motels? 

Come home every night? 

Have the RV pre-positioned?

If im pickup camping, I drive the SxS back to pickup each night. If im only going for a couple nights, I can pack my camp and some in my SxS.  I have all the backcountry gear for an easy couple day spike out.  

Went from a Viking to the Pioneer 1000-5.  Loved both machines, but the Pioneer was in a different world.  Comfort, quietness (relatively speaking), and power were unreal!  Unfortunately, I traded it for a couple of quads when my boys started driving (because it is more fun for them, obviously).  The DCT transmission in the Honda is crazy good.  

I'll leave this right here:

20191130_072537.thumb.jpg.d1168da75feb0ecf246b413f167c4385.jpg

Didn't need 4x4 to bust through that snow, with the stock Bighorn tires.  

I got rid of the Viking because I found that I bottomed out on two-track roads a lot.  Other than that, I loved the machine on well graded roads.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hucker said:

Went from a Viking to the Pioneer 1000-5.  Loved both machines, but the Pioneer was in a different world.  Comfort, quietness (relatively speaking), and power were unreal!  Unfortunately, I traded it for a couple of quads when my boys started driving (because it is more fun for them, obviously).  The DCT transmission in the Honda is crazy good.  

I'll leave this right here:

20191130_072537.thumb.jpg.d1168da75feb0ecf246b413f167c4385.jpg

Didn't need 4x4 to bust through that snow, with the stock Bighorn tires.  

I got rid of the Viking because I found that I bottomed out on two-track roads a lot.  Other than that, I loved the machine on well graded roads.  

Thanks for the input. I wasn't initially looking on input on specific models but that's two people who have said the pioneer is better than the Viking! 

I test drove a Viking this weekend and it was insanely loud (at least in the cab). Good to know about it bottoming out as well.

Thinking harder of pioneer 700 or even pioneer 500 (could use my smaller trailer or even an 8ft truck bed)

I had two Rangers 2010 and 2014, both were good, but the belt drive was very frustrating if you were trying to ease forward or backward. Purchased a Pioneer 1000 in 2020, use it everyday on my farm, as well as in the bush. The difference between a belt drive and a gear drive is night and day. And as said, it is much quieter than my rangers were, and has crazy power, I have a tailing ditch I have to drive through and had to pull my ranger out of it a cpl times, the pioneer fords it like a champ. Dont know what the industry is doing as to belt drives, but personally, I would never buy a belt drive machine.

2 hours ago, NE AZ Guy said:

I had two Rangers 2010 and 2014, both were good, but the belt drive was very frustrating if you were trying to ease forward or backward. Purchased a Pioneer 1000 in 2020, use it everyday on my farm, as well as in the bush. The difference between a belt drive and a gear drive is night and day. And as said, it is much quieter than my rangers were, and has crazy power, I have a tailing ditch I have to drive through and had to pull my ranger out of it a cpl times, the pioneer fords it like a champ. Dont know what the industry is doing as to belt drives, but personally, I would never buy a belt drive machine.

Interesting, and another point for the pioneers. Looks like all of them have automotive style transmissions

Sorry to piggyback on this post a bit did any of you with a Pioneer have to shorten the roof to fit it in a toyhauler?  I would love to get one but I need to either tweak the back bunks on the toyhauler or shorten the roof on the pioneer to get it in.