Sign in to follow this  
hunter4life

Muzzleloader Coues

Neat buck! Congratulations! Great that you have pics of him from years before.

Make sure you email me the pics and info if you want it posted in the gallery.

amanda@coueswhitetail.com

Amanda

Thanks for all the congrats. This is the first time I have killed a buck with that much history of seeing him for years.

I have used a Knight Disc Elite .45cal for all 4 of my muzzy coues and an elk as well.

Awesome buck and wonderful pictures...great post and a huge congrats on your success!

Phil

That is an awesome buck. Does anyone know what the record typical is with a muzzleloader.

SCI record for muzzy is 123 7/8, This buck could make the top ten. Really the uniqueness of the buck makes it a more desirable specimen than what could be possibly measured in a simple scoring system. Jim Shockey has number 10 at 95 1/8. It might be worth it to enter this buck just to say you knocked Shockey out of the top ten.

Congratulations,

Bob

P.S. If you need an official scorer. I could give you some numbers.

I have a friend who is an official scorer for SCI, and I already have one buck entered with a muzzleloader that scored 109 6/8. I really liked this buck because of the mass and having seen him for several years in a row before I finally killed him.

Awesome buck man! I was thinkin muzzleloader next year, how far was he? That's 2 cool how you watched him all those years, congrats bro!

A beautiful deer, and I congratulate you. You can be rightly proud of your great buck, especially after finding it three years in a row. I particularly like the way you took the time to clean it up and pose it for photos.

Have you ever thought of hunting with a more traditional muzzleloader -- flintlock or percussion, iron sights, long octagon barrel, one-piece walnut or curly maple stock with a patch box, and patched round balls or greased Minni balls and bullets you cast yourself?

My friend Bud Bristow and I got interested in muzzleloading in the 1960s, and we each built several Kentucky- and Hawken-style rifles with stocks and other parts we made ourselves and triggers, barrels and locks we ordered from specialty catalogs. (We didn't use kits because we wanted our rifles to be "authentic.") I even carved floral designs on my stocks and "browned" the barrels, just as the early smiths did on their longrifles. Our range was limited to 75-80 yards but we managed to kill a number of mule deer, whitetails and javelinas in Arizona and Texas with them. Later, I borrowed an original percussion rilfe built in Scotland in the 1840s and used it to kill a bison in Colorado.

Just thinking about the fun we had with black powder makes me want to take one of my flintlocks out again in the next HAM season -- if I draw a tag.

Hunting with a primitive rifle was indeed (pun intended) a blast! :P

Bill Quimby

Incidentally, hunting with a "muzzy" sounds dreadfully inane. :angry: How did such a juvenile contraction ever come to be used for such a pleasureable activity?