Sign in to follow this  
olmos1010

WTB Rain gear

After hunting this past weekend in some heavy heavy rains I found out that my rain gear will not hold up in the heavy stuff.  That being said I'm looking for Feedback on some quality rain gear being as I'll be chasing bugles for 3 weeks straight here in September.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Light weight just in case, Cabelas Space Rain or Marmot Precip. Need more durability Kuiu Chugach. All out you will drown without it, Kuiu Yukon or Sitka's best. Guide I asked about it in Alaska that makes his living in raingear was all about Sitka.

• Like 1

High end kuiu or Sitka, if you want to move while it's raining.  If you just want to stay dry and hunker down, Helly Hansen is top notch for complete waterproofness.  

• Like 2

I wore Sitka in Alaska last year. We got rained on every day for 7 days and I stayed dry the whole time. It was worth every penny. I even wore it last week while bear hunting.

• Like 2

I too have Sitka, it's what I'm taking to AK here soon.  It worked phenomenally well on my first AK trip.  Everyone in AK Swears by Helly Hansen for all out downpours, but it does not breath.  I took it last trip and never took it out of my bag.

For colder weather, I definitely like the Yukon.  I wear one of my sets for work when it is cold and windy.  I have worn them as outer layers when hunting in the snow a bunch.  Nice to keep your butt dry when glassing in the snow or dewy ground.  Waterproof and windproof.  I have crashed through a lot of thick stuff, and they have shrugged off all tears and snags.

The Chugach are definitely lighter.  More like just a shell.  But they are definitley rain gear too.  I have always stayed completely dry except when wind blows it down the collar.  They do have a hood, I just sometimes don't wear it when I have a cowboy hat on.

Depending on WHERE and WHEN your tag is should determine what set you get.  If you have a Unit 22S early archery type tag, I would go Chugach.  If you have a Unit 1 early archery, the Yukon makes more sense.  If you want to use it on mid to late season too, the Yukon is definitely the way to go.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lancetkenyon said:

For colder weather, I definitely like the Yukon.  I wear one of my sets for work when it is cold and windy.  I have worn them as outer layers when hunting in the snow a bunch.  Nice to keep your butt dry when glassing in the snow or dewy ground.  Waterproof and windproof.  I have crashed through a lot of thick stuff, and they have shrugged off all tears and snags.

The Chugach are definitely lighter.  More like just a shell.  But they are definitley rain gear too.  I have always stayed completely dry except when wind blows it down the collar.  They do have a hood, I just sometimes don't wear it when I have a cowboy hat on.

Depending on WHERE and WHEN your tag is should determine what set you get.  If you have a Unit 22S early archery type tag, I would go Chugach.  If you have a Unit 1 early archery, the Yukon makes more sense.  If you want to use it on mid to late season too, the Yukon is definitely the way to go.  

I appreciate the feedback,  I've got the 27 early archery and my daughter has the 22s muzzleloader that starts right after mine ends so I'll be in both situations this season. Good problem have I guess. 

• Like 1

For AZ I would look at Kutana if you are considering KUIU. Its sort of in between the Yukon and Chugach. Supposedly has a very durable but breathable shell.

• Like 1

I’ve got Sitka rain gear and it works ! I’ve had it probably 10 years and have no idea what the name of it is. My Amigo I hunt with has Kuiu rain gear and neither one of us ever get wet.

• Like 1

I have the Lightweight Kuiu Northridge rain set. Bought for the unpredictable Spring showers. It’s great. Pit zippers, hood, & full length leg zips are a plus.  It packs down to almost nothing at the bottom of your pack. It can be worn for warmth the first couple hours before sunrise, as it breathes. It’s my experience to never pay full retail for Kuiu. They have multiple sales throughout the year, but not across all products. Check out this upcoming sale…

7E5BC4D1-EC8C-4CC2-87FE-E4A93A75AF5F.jpeg

B70229DA-7530-4AFD-88FC-DE88548EB3A6.jpeg

• Like 2