Cambow

Vortex Optics Truth

43 minutes ago, Cambow said:

I will take a look... I thought they were like $2600 ish.

Contact Doug @ Camerland NY. I have bought scopes from him and he is great to work with. They sometimes have new open box demo models with full warranty at a discounted price. Family operated business that has been around for decades.

He posts in the CWT Optics section almost daily.

• Like 1

I have a viper pst on a rifle that tracks perfectly and has functioned perfectly through about 5 years of abuse. The glass is just ok, but on a scope, who cares unless you’re shooting FAR.

I’m not saying they’re the best, they’re definitely not. But for what I paid (about $500), I haven’t come across anything better

2 hours ago, dustin25 said:

I have a viper pst on a rifle that tracks perfectly and has functioned perfectly through about 5 years of abuse. The glass is just ok, but on a scope, who cares unless you’re shooting FAR.

I’m not saying they’re the best, they’re definitely not. But for what I paid (about $500), I haven’t come across anything better

That’s a good testimonial… how do you feel about the eye relief? 

2 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Contact Doug @ Camerland NY. I have bought scopes from him and he is great to work with. They sometimes have new open box demo models with full warranty at a discounted price. Family operated business that has been around for decades.

He posts in the CWT Optics section almost daily.

I will definitely reach out to him.

14 hours ago, dustin25 said:

I had one and compared to the Zeiss v4 it's like looking through a glass of skim milk. Doesn't track any better. Glad to be rid of it

To be fair though Zeiss is a solid 300 bucks extra

13 hours ago, Cambow said:

That’s a good testimonial… how do you feel about the eye relief? 

I wear glasses sometimes and haven’t noticed any issues

1 hour ago, andyyy said:

I had one and compared to the Zeiss v4 it's like looking through a glass of skim milk. Doesn't track any better. Glad to be rid of it

To be fair though Zeiss is a solid 300 bucks extra

Compared to some I’m sure the glass isn’t very good! The glass on mine id classify as just ok.I did shoot a buck a few years back in almost a worst case scenario shot into the sun. The color was very washed out, but I was able to identify which of the 4 bucks I wanted to shoot at about 400 yards. Good enough for me!

I’m not a vortex fanboy…or even necessarily a proponent. I’ve owned various vortex binos, they’re all gone in favor of swarovski and meopta. But the viper pst 4-16x50 on my rifle has been reliable and good overall for the price. If I had significant extra money to throw into a scope, absolutely I’d upgrade! But I haven’t had the NEED to replace the viper at all

• Like 1

20 hours ago, andyyy said:

Those high end Bushnell's looks real nice. Wish they were available in MOA. I'm too stubborn to learn mils.

MIL's are easy - - MOA 4 clicks roughly equals 3 MIL clicks. At 100 yards 1 MOA click approximately 1/4 inch - - MIL click approximately 1/3 inch.

12 minutes ago, AZAV8ER said:

MIL's are easy - - MOA 4 clicks roughly equals 3 MIL clicks. At 100 yards 1 MOA click approximately 1/4 - -  inch MIL click approximately 1/3 inch.

I was bugged about this at first... but if you are using an app to calculate, you can set up each individual rifle profile. So it doesn't seem to matter just so long as you set it up right. I just started using the "Shooter" App and still learning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AZAV8ER said:

MIL's are easy - - MOA 4 clicks roughly equals 3 MIL clicks. At 100 yards 1 MOA click approximately 1/4 inch - - MIL click approximately 1/3 inch.

Fair enough- I'm just stubborn mostly, ha. I know some folks that have swapped and concur it's not a big deal as well. 

Probably worth knowing both

There's just so many great scopes out there now. Hard for OP to go wrong as long as they understand they get what they pay for. 

But with vortex, a lot more of what you pay for is marketing. IMO

2 minutes ago, andyyy said:

There's just so many great scopes out there now. Hard for OP to go wrong as long as they understand they get what they pay for. 

But with vortex, a lot more of what you pay for is marketing. IMO

This is actually the reason for my original post. I feel like everywhere I look I see a Vortex logo... sponsorships, apparel, accessories... they are everywhere in terms of marketing. But when I ask a shooter/hunter about them... I get a lot of "Yeah... I'm kinda done with Vortex" answers. But then a few guys love them. I think sticking with what I know might be the safe way to go... even if I have to pay a lot more. One of my friends saw my post here and called me. He basically told me I was an idiot for even asking about putting a $500 scope on a $3500 custom rifle. Kinda embarrassing... he's right.

1 hour ago, Cambow said:

This is actually the reason for my original post. I feel like everywhere I look I see a Vortex logo... sponsorships, apparel, accessories... they are everywhere in terms of marketing. But when I ask a shooter/hunter about them... I get a lot of "Yeah... I'm kinda done with Vortex" answers. But then a few guys love them. I think sticking with what I know might be the safe way to go... even if I have to pay a lot more. One of my friends saw my post here and called me. He basically told me I was an idiot for even asking about putting a $500 scope on a $3500 custom rifle. Kinda embarrassing... he's right.

Holy shoot yeah that would be like putting skinny street tires on a built jeep. Rule of thumb I was taught is the scope is usually as expensive or more than the rifle. I think that's valid for factory rifles. 2k for your rifle can buy all the scope you'll need or want if you're just hunting, though

I have quite a few Vortex scopes, binos, and spotters. They have never let me down. I also have several NF and Leopold scopes that are WAY clearer. If I had to start over I'd keep the binos and spotters and spend a little more on scopes.