Cambow

Vortex Optics Truth

37 minutes ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

Well I've owned only 1 vortex scope ever. It was $800+ quite a few years ago and I had it fail so I'll never own another one. I just thought it was funny that casey said almost the exact same thing back on page 1. I agree 100% with him though. 

I didn't even realize that but you are correct lol!

Similarly, I've owned one Vortex product.  It failed (on a hunt) and I've never and will never own another. 

• Like 1

Vortex sure does occupy a lot of rent-free space in some folks’ skulls…but yeah this thread came complete full circle with Casey repeating himself. LoL

Sounds like this thread should be about scope fail horror stories... I bet there are some good ones out there. When I was a teenager, I had an old Weaver K4 scope fog up on me during my second ever deer hunt. I ended up carrying an old 30-06 beater that had been my Grandpa's for the rest of the hunt. I still have that rifle and the scope has wicked canted crosshairs... but I can't bring myself to straighten the scope since my grandpa did it that way. I smile every time I look at that rifle. An old Remington 721 :)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bigorange said:

Vortex sure does occupy a lot of rent-free space in some folks’ skulls…but yeah this thread came complete full circle with Casey repeating himself. LoL

Consistency.

Vortex sucked asss on page one.  Still sucks asss on this page. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bigorange said:

The space they occupy in my skull is the fact that they can beat a bad reputation so easily with stellar marketing. It's crazy how popular they are!

• Like 1

So I’m now in the market for a good scope and I just read this entire thread. Swarovski wasn’t mentioned at all, so I’m curious to hear your opinions on the Swarovski Z6 3-18x50. 

On 1/24/2023 at 3:21 PM, bigorange said:

The hurt one experiences by being out shot by a guy with a $240 vortex scope. It is very real. They say the cure is go buy a $2k scope and don’t shoot along side those pesky vortex sharp shooters

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, daryl_s said:

So I’m now in the market for a good scope and I just read this entire thread. Swarovski wasn’t mentioned at all, so I’m curious to hear your opinions on the Swarovski Z6 3-18x50. 

Swarovski is probably at the top of the list for most people... just wonder if the price point keeps them out of a lot of conversations. I love my Swaro Binoculars... Have had them since 98 :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AZBIG10 said:

The hurt one experiences by being out shot by a guy with a $240 vortex scope. It is very real.

Ouch... that hurt!  LOL

7 hours ago, daryl_s said:

I don't own a Swaro (or vortex optics, lol) personally, but my close friend has a Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 and that thing on his rifle is a laserpointer.

The quick adjust turret points are very nice, they're color coded. He has them set to 200, 300, and 400, and then has his dopes in a book for adjustments farther than that. he can adjust from 100-400 yards in a matter of a second or two, very handy for hunting.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Savageman2506 said:

I don't own a Swaro (or vortex optics, lol) personally, but my close friend has a Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 and that thing on his rifle is a laserpointer.

The quick adjust turret points are very nice, they're color coded. He has them set to 200, 300, and 400, and then has his dopes in a book for adjustments farther than that. he can adjust from 100-400 yards in a matter of a second or two, very handy for hunting.

I have the same scope I bought off a member here probably four years ago. I went on Swarovski's website and ordered a custom turret  for 168gr NLRAB which goes out to 625 yards. I have shot it to 425 and it is right there. It is on my 700 that I bought new in about 1992 when they first came out with a stainless composite offering and is my main big game hunting rig so I wanted a scope that was clear and light so it fit the bill.

• Like 1

After looking thru my buddies  vortex scope on his pig gun . You could  see the center of the scope was OK but when you got to the edges it got mudded up quick. Idk what  scope  he is running  in there line but said it was a few 3 or 4 hundred  bucks . When looking  thur my nightforce  atacr he questioned  the logic in spending  good $$$ on glass . I guess it's all about personal  preference  and what your goals  are with  the gun .

• Like 2

I used the Vortex warrenty alot. Got new scopes back and sold them. Gave the next user a brand new start at my loss.

I put a Bushnell Elite Tactical scope on my son's Ruger Precission. Got it when NY Camera Land was selling them .. can't be happier. No issues - 4+ years of use.

During peak of covid could not find them.

I've heard a lot of good reports on those Bushnell Elites. Ran into a guy the other day who says he likes them better than his other $2K+ scopes!