Cambow

Vortex Optics Truth

I am setting up another long range rifle in 7mag and researching scopes. I have Leupold LRP 6.5-20 scopes on both my other rigs. I am hoping to save a bit and was considering trying out a Vortex Viper... but the more I read, the more confused I am. This company seems like the ultimate love/hate brand. I thought I would post on here to get the opinions of real-world hunters and shooters. 

Are Vortex scope okay? I read a lot of reviews about owners saying the eye relief is very unforgiving and that focus on the outer edges isn't great. But then others love them...? Would love to hear some of your opinions... I am looking for a scope that has zero-stop turrets and is a good product at an affordable price.

Thanks in advance!

I have had a lot of vortex Scopes all over the price ranges (crossfire, viper, and razor) and don't think I would buy again. 

Their binos are good though, for the money I think they're good value. But the scopes I had were subpar for their price ranges.

• Like 1

Thanks… that’s kinda what I’m hearing from others. I may need to stick with Leupold.

What do you guys think is the best long range scope under $2k?

I have a Vortex 6x24x50 HSLR I am considering selling. Good shape, but it is to high of power on the low side for me. I am going to step down to a 3x or 4x something. 

Let me know if you are interested. 

10 hours ago, Cambow said:

What do you guys think is the best long range scope under $2k?

Something used that was originally in the $2700-3000 range.  Seriously.

I have a Kahles K318i that I got for $2k used. 

I have seen some S&B PMII 5-25x56 DTs for around $2000-$2400 on rare occasions.

Maybe a NF NX8 new.  Either the 2.5-20x50 or the 4-32x50.  

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna check out the Nightforce glass. They stopped making the Leupold LRP series scopes and that's what I am used to.... so I need to adjust to something new.

Zeiss v6 or even v4. I have both and both track very well. If I lost one I would replace with same scope.

I had chewed on getting a used NF but Zeiss seemed better for hunting. Cheaper and lighter 

• Like 2

Bushnell Elite DMR  Gen II, Gen III are a lot of scope for the money.  I'm making hits at 2000yards with my 338 edge and DMR II.  I have enough elevation to get to 2200yards with my current load.  I hear the glass is pretty dang good in the newer GEN III.  Scopes are built like tanks.  I replaced a Vortex PST II with a Bushnell LRTS on my 300 win mag.  Its working well for me at 1 mile.  

I bought both mine used, less than $800 a piece.

• Like 1