Sign in to follow this  
Alpinebullwinkle

Horn Quality 2022 ?

Now that we are closer to the hunts starting and there has been some serious scouting accomplished what is everybody's opinion on this year's elk horn quality? Last year was inferior IMHO and from what I have viewed perhaps this year is average or slightly above average?

Everything I've seen seems to be small growth or they are late getting started. Alot of the bulls I've seen really don't have the growth that I would expect by now.. same with the deer.. it's seem to me that they are kinda late getting going on growth. Nothing I've seen rubbing velvet off yet. Still early for deer but some elk should be rubbing of there velvet. Haven't seen any.. alot of animals in running around with clubs on there heads with little form to them yet.

• Confused 2

Every bull I saw last weekend was rubbed clean. From what I’ve seen I’d say average to slightly above for growth. Elk are HEALTHY this year!

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, azcouesandelk said:

Every bull I saw last weekend was rubbed clean. From what I’ve seen I’d say average to slightly above for growth. Elk are HEALTHY this year!

Area 8 and part of 10 around Williams was where I was at.. didn't see alot of Bulls . But the few I saw where ragged and didn't have much form to them . Still all in velvet. I saw 7 in total. And 5 bucks the bucks where all the same... Maybe it's just my eye sight or expectations. I really thought they would be bigger and have more growth to them . Was very surprised to see all the bulls I seen still in full velvet.. all the bulls where youngsters running with cows.. never saw anything big maybe that explains it... I've hunted that same area for 50 plus years. This year seems to be kinda in slow motion with antler growth from what I saw up there this year.. just my two cents worth. Hope I'm wrong... I can live with that. Good luck to all and happy hunting 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bill@roofer said:

Everything I've seen seems to be small growth or they are late getting started. Alot of the bulls I've seen really don't have the growth that I would expect by now.. same with the deer.. it's seem to me that they are kinda late getting going on growth. Nothing I've seen rubbing velvet off yet. Still early for deer but some elk should be rubbing of there velvet. Haven't seen any.. alot of animals in running around with clubs on there heads with little form to them yet.

39 minutes ago, Bill@roofer said:

Area 8 and part of 10 around Williams was where I was at.. didn't see alot of Bulls . But the few I saw where ragged and didn't have much form to them . Still all in velvet. I saw 7 in total. And 5 bucks the bucks where all the same... Maybe it's just my eye sight or expectations. I really thought they would be bigger and have more growth to them . Was very surprised to see all the bulls I seen still in full velvet.. all the bulls where youngsters running with cows.. never saw anything big maybe that explains it... I've hunted that same area for 50 plus years. This year seems to be kinda in slow motion with antler growth from what I saw up there this year.. just my two cents worth. Hope I'm wrong... I can live with that. Good luck to all and happy hunting 

Ive been sitting in a blind for deer and the bulls are bugling really good. Seen a few pushing cows. One is a nice 330 bull. Seen spikes smacking their velvet antlers together. Saw 3 herds last night and all had bulls with them, dark antlers and bugling. Elk look fat and happy, lots of water, grass to their belly, really my favorite time to be in the woods. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, couesdeerhntr said:

Buddy sent this from clints well neighborhood. Rubbed clean and looking good.

0C8F13D2-10A2-4BF6-BA12-0ACC7A081A73.jpeg

Polished tips. Beautiful bull

• Like 3

I’ve seen avg/better than average growth in 3B/1/27 areas.  Saw a pretty good bull tonight by the house with about 20 cows….sniffing and chuckling already.  

• Like 2