Sign in to follow this  
WHT_MTNMAN

NM Antelope updated story

I’ll quote my daughter, “That Lope is Bad Donkey!” Great pic. 

• Like 1

Congrats - great looking goat. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 8:38 PM, Green Bullet said:

Great buck. Was this a draw tag or ranch?

I missed responding to you, sorry about that. It was a ranch tag. This is one of those situations where we had to pay a "guide" but in reality the "guide" only allowed us access to the property.  He showed up with 10x42's and cowboy boots and told me to shoot the 1st 70" buck we saw. He was quite surprised when we glassed up and passed a bunch of bucks after looking them over in the spotting scope. I think he was used to driving around and letting the hunters shoot the 1st buck they saw. 

So I have some time so I'll update with the story.  My friend Mike and I glassed this buck up almost 2 miles away the first morning and knew he was good buck that we needed to look closer at. We spent half the day driving/walking the ranch and looking over as many bucks as we could.  This buck lived in a giant pasture with no stalkable terrain or trees and he was very spooky.   We saw him bed upon this bench which we figured was 500 yards from the top of a hill. Once we got around on him we finally picked him up and he was 800+ yards away and had us picked off. He took off and ran about 2 miles.  We jumped in the vehicles and worked our way around to the other side of the ranch trying to put a plan together.   Again we picked out a low hill that we could work around and hopefully get into shooting range. After climbing up and slowly peeking over we came to realize he was about 1500 yards away still.   Over the course of the rest of the day he slowly worked his way back up to the hill/bench that we had jumped him from. The next morning we went in slow and couldn't pick him up at all. after about 2 hours as we were driving to the other side of the ranch he came out of the bottom of the draw and ran almost a mile and a half before he even slowed down. He again went right up on top of that wide open pasture with no way to get within 800 yards.  We decided to try a new tactic and came from another direction. This time we made it to about 600 yards before any of us had picked him up and again he had already picked us off and took off to the same location as before almost 2 miles away but in the same pasture.  I decided that I was going to sneak into where he had bedded and spend the rest of the day there in hopes that he would want to come back to that spot like he had 2 or 3 other times.  Mike and the "guide" took off and tried to circle around and get into a position if they could.  From about 8am to 4 or 5pm I stayed in this open pasture laying down on my back, sitting up and laying back down, waiting for this buck to work his way up to me. He would walk a few steps and keep looking up toward me, feed and keep working his way toward me. It took him almost 9hours to get to me. At about 400 yards he didn't like something and he started to move off in another direction.  I estimated the distance, (couldn't get a good range with how flat it was with landmarks) whistled and as he slightly turned toward me I shot him. I hit him just a touch back, watched him bed worked my way up to him and shot him one more time as he stood up.  He was one of the spookiest goats I've chased or hunted and I was glad to put him on the ground. 

824353377_NMpronghorn1.thumb.JPEG.212009e580580f911bcb1440af5b461e.JPEG

Exit 

1730513009_NMpronghorn.thumb.JPEG.3e2bebd3e050fcf73aa15350947658f4.JPEG

• Like 6

"He took off and ran about 2 miles."   Yup, that seems like my experience a lot of the time.  Those suckers seem not to mind when I drive by them, but stop the vehicle and boom, off to the next county!! 🤣

Great story of perseverance (and smarts)!! 

S.

• Like 1