Sign in to follow this  
standman

Bitter Sweet Ending

5AC1BC05-5D2A-457A-B6A0-CF33EDE17F01.thumb.jpeg.fc85fc96f828deb0437079a83bbd8d1c.jpegI was able to put closure on my archery deer hunt today.  Last Saturday I had this buck come in.  I drilled him perfect right behind the shoulder.  As soon as I hit him, It proceeded to hail and rain.  I got out of the blind as fast I could to start following blood trail.   Only made it about 40 yards before hail had covered the ground and washed all the blood away.   For the next 2.5 hours it proceeded to rain 4 1/2 inches.  I searched the whole time in the downpour but to no avail.   I decided to head out and make a few calls  for help.  On way out to cell service, I barely made it out due to flooding.  So I made my phone calls and tried  headed back in with it still raining but flooding had overtaken the roads and they had been barricaded and closed. So now for the rest of the weekend the roads were closed and I couldn’t make it back in. I was just sick.  Couldn’t believed what had happened.  So my tag was filled and wasn’t going to do anything else but find this buck.  

Finally today, one week later, I was able to catch a whiff of a dead animal while seaching with a friend.  Few minutes later he hollered and said he had found him.  He had only went about 125 yards.  I had probably walked by him 4 or 5 times  with 20 yards and just couldnt see him where he fell.  Bear had found him and chewed his antler points pretty good. Wasn’t much left of the buck.  About gagged me to death cutting the head off.  Velvet was mostly ate off.  Bear had  Chewed up eyeguards, ends of main beams and other points but I was happy to put my tag on a really great buck.  Taxidermist is going to be able to rebuild points and put velvet back on him.  Bitter sweet ending losing the meat but was able to recover him. 

Brian

• Like 16
  • Sad 2
  • Great Buck! 1
  • Wow! 2

Ouch! That's painful man but I'm glad you recovered on what looks to be an absolute stud! Looks like he was way past his ears and was a shooter for sure. Maybe someone with a "wildlife viewing cam" could donate a picture for you for an accurate representation of what he was. Clearly a stud.

You still doing the trapping thing full bore like you used to do?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CatfishKev said:

Ouch! That's painful man but I'm glad you recovered on what looks to be an absolute stud! Looks like he was way past his ears and was a shooter for sure. Maybe someone with a "wildlife viewing cam" could donate a picture for you for an accurate representation of what he was. Clearly a stud.

You still doing the trapping thing full bore like you used to do?

Yeah he was a stud buck.  Really wide.   It really sucks not having cam out.  Would of had pics of him and known exactly what he was but I think we can get him pretty close to his glory😊.   

I am doing the trapping still.  Not as much this past year as my mom and dad were on hospice with cancer and was taking care of them.  They both past away this summer.  

• Sad 1

Dang Brian, that is one heck of a buck, and I know how hard you work for them. Great job finding him. 

• Like 1

Dang that's pretty cool, crazy and sucky all at the same time. Great job finding him. Looks like a great buck congrats! Post a pic when you get him all fixed up. It be cool to see the before and after. 

• Like 1

Sorry buddy!!!  If you need help, I can easily fix those Antlers and put artificial velvet on them.  

Resized952022022295152342.jpg

Resized952022022295152347.jpg

Resized952021100195145614.jpg

Resized952022022195110740.jpg

• Like 1

way to stick with it...most archery hunters would gave given up and killed another buck! props to you!

Dang that is a tough break, but that’s great you kept looking and were at least able to recover the head. Hoping the taxidermist is able to make him look as good as he was! Thanks for sharing the story