Oakley

6.5 prc reloads

Was there something specific they were doing wrong?  Usually it takes about 60 to 100 rounds to settle a barrel.  For my prc I used that to break in and fire form brass.  

On the load side of it, standard large rifle primers seem to make better groups for me when running under 60 grains.  Once over that I will go to the magnums.

So I have loads worked up for imr 8133 and h1000.  Both around 3k feet per second.  Both under 1/2" at 100.  I usually find the most accurate powder charge then mess with bullet seating.  My prc has around 300 through the tube, but I know what each load is going to do and what the scope needs to shoot one from the other.  

One bullet 143 eldx, other 140 vld, one click difference in poi at 100.  

Have you chronoed?  Daughters bergara cm likes it fairly slow rounds.  It also took around 50 rounds to start settling.  It shoots 3/8 or so and never adjusted bullet depth.  Just .010 off lands with accubond long range. 

That is as close as I can come to a prc bergara.  

Try loading 3 to 5 loads at minimum and work up, 3 at each half grain, it will help smooth out the barrel and will start showing nodes.  Shoot a target with multiple spots, shoot one with one charge at a spot, next load at another spot (each shot a different load and a different spot), and continue until one shows promise.  So let's say you have 3 loads, number the targets 123.  Shoot the corresponding target in order 123.  Then next round do 321.  Last one shoot 213.  Let the barrel cool between rounds.  It will show the better than a true group test because it is more random for each load.  It is not always the first or 5th group that shoots best.

Sometimes it takes a little bit to find the best load, in my testing I found my prc hates accubond lr 142 bullets, but will shoot just about anything else.  My daughter's cm will shoot just about anything that is 140+ and between 2650 and 2700.  My son's cm likes faster loads, 140s at 2800 or more, just start to see pressure signs as I move up.  

Give the barrel a chance to break in, what I have seen is bergaras are very accurate, been around a few now.

Had difficulty finding a load with a lot of different combinations and projectiles. Ended up going to 140 ELD-M and it found a sweet spot with 57.1 grains of H1k. Right under 3000 fps. 

The 6.5 PRC doesnt need a magnum primer, try a standard primer. 

53 grs. RL 23 Lapua brass, fed. 210, 143 gr. eldx shoots an average .325 in my rifle.

My 7 saum liked 162 eldx but not the 175 eldx with the powders that I had. I was able to get my hands on some 175 ablr and was able to find a few loads it liked. Try some accubonds and bergers also.  Try to get a few other powders also.

Try standard primers.

Rl22 seems to be the ticket but good luck finding some. 

The load for my buddies 6.5prc is 143 gr ELDX with RL26 and standard primers. It is about 5/8" group at 100. About 52.2gr if I remember right off the top of my head.