Sign in to follow this  
Coueser

Bug spray recommendations

Anybody have advice for a good scent-free bug spray?  I was scouting in Unit 1 this weekend and the mosquitos were miserable in a couple of my favorite spots.  I see some sprays that say scent free but I wonder if they truly pass the test of an elks nose.  

• Haha 1

Picaridin seems to be the most scent free I've been able to find. Sawyer makes a spray and a lotion.

• Like 1

Does the DEET everyone uses really smell stronger than how a guy normally smells while out hunting for a few days? More of a question than a statement. Haven't considered bug spray spooking game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coueser said:

Anybody have advice for a good scent-free bug spray?  I was scouting in Unit 1 this weekend and the mosquitos were miserable in a couple of my favorite spots.  I see some sprays that say scent free but I wonder if they truly pass the test of an elks nose.  

I used a different brand because they were out of this one but seems ok.

you treat the clothing items not your skin. supposedly lasts a few washes. I originally bought it for chiggers. I always wear long sleeves and mosquitos bite through my shirt.

First day of dove season I got bit up, forgot I had this stuff. Sprayed my mask and shirt and had no more issues after that.

https://www.rei.com/product/768970/sawyer-permethrin-pump-spray-24-oz?CAWELAID=120217890000854834&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=124667333037&CATCI=pla-1371361143094&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|21700000001700551_7689700016|92700064944667620|TOF|71700000066692708&gclid=Cj0KCQjw39uYBhCLARIsAD_SzMToQbVbnhYKIMpKB9JVsdefaAxyVI4GuCYK7p5Fj9AQWnymQYDdVH4aAqXOEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 1

Mosquitos are horrible this year - I haven't been worried about the scent and sprayed 100% deet on 3 times (heavy amounts) and still got tore up not sure if my deet lost its potency. Will try the stuff above - 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andyyy said:

Does the DEET everyone uses really smell stronger than how a guy normally smells while out hunting for a few days? More of a question than a statement. Haven't considered bug spray spooking game.

Figure if they are gonna smell the bug spray, they're gonna smell my but.

+1 on some of the comments. 

Breath, farts, sweat, funk, bug-spray…..    Just try to be down wind at ALL costs, IMO.    To answer the question though, no, I haven’t come across anything scentless that is as effective as some good ol’ smelly Deep Woods Off.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

I wouldn’t worry about the smell of the bug spray. If the wind swirls you’re done anyway 

One of the best predator hunters I've known to exist smoked a cigarette every time he started moving. 

I keep my blood stream packed with Budweiser or 805. Mosquitoes don't like it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1