Sign in to follow this  
desertmafia21

New IPhone 14 with satellite communication

Sweet. It says Tmobile is trying to do a network wide satellite connectivity as well which will be awesome. No more inreach.

phsaawww....with all of your electric gadgets your mountain man kinfolk would be ashamed.  Amazing how anyone survived to this point.  leave your fucking cell phones at home and live a little. Get lost a little.  Panic a little. And learn.    

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, DutchmanAZ said:

phsaawww....with all of your electric gadgets your mountain man kinfolk would be ashamed.  Amazing how anyone survived to this point.  leave your fucking cell phones at home and live a little. Get lost a little.  Panic a little. And learn.    

Some of us do have family that CARES about us….

• Like 5

"The wilderness; I've never been lost, but I was mighty turned around for three days once."

Daniel Boone 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, desertmafia21 said:

Some of us do have family that CARES about us….

I'm sure they do.  I'm not trying to give you junk, but if you go out into the "wilds" of Arizona and feel lost without a cell phone, stay home (this is in general - not a shot at you).  Christ - except for wilderness areas you have roads every 1/4 - 1 mile.  Sun rises in the East - figure out where north is.  Hard to get lost, but I hope you experience it.  As Pat McManus wrote - the stationary panic is the best option)).  A holy shoot  survival pack is about 3 - 5 lbs, and that is with good food.  Water - well, figure that one out. 

I've always hunted to get lost.  Have been a time or 2.  Also bagged some critters.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DutchmanAZ said:

I'm sure they do.  I'm not trying to give you junk, but if you go out into the "wilds" of Arizona and feel lost without a cell phone, stay home (this is in general - not a shot at you).  Christ - except for wilderness areas you have roads every 1/4 - 1 mile.  Sun rises in the East - figure out where north is.  Hard to get lost, but I hope you experience it.  As Pat McManus wrote - the stationary panic is the best option)).  A holy shoot  survival pack is about 3 - 5 lbs, and that is with good food.  Water - well, figure that one out. 

I've always hunted to get lost.  Have been a time or 2.  Also bagged some critters.  

good story

• Haha 1

On 9/9/2022 at 7:39 AM, Edge said:

"The wilderness; I've never been lost, but I was mighty turned around for three days once."

Daniel Boone 

So true… I’ve been there. Twice.

On 9/9/2022 at 5:54 PM, DutchmanAZ said:

I hunt to kill mature animals, and Iv never been lost…..bagged lots of critters 

• Like 1

Lol this is more about a broken leg/heart attack by yourself in some deep canyon and need help situation than anything.  

It sounds like ol Dutchman hunts close to people though if he has roads every 1/4 mile. 

Luckily for us he is tougher than everyone else and can manage.

• Like 3

On 9/9/2022 at 4:54 PM, DutchmanAZ said:

Having the phone doesn't mean you have to use it. Being prepared is smart! Nearly dying in the desert or the forest, dealing with life threatening emergencies without the necessary emergency gear, is probably more foolishness than bravery.

Boy Scout Motto: " Always be prepared".

Having dealt with a few near death experiences personally, mostly not in my control, I believe they should be avoided when possible. They may build some character, but how important those experiences are can be disputed, and the PTSD remains for the rest of your life, with the flash backs, even though it does get easier to live with. No, I was not in the military and I greatly respect those who serve, or have served!

Nobody I ever new has come back to tell me how great the "next life" is after dying, so in my older age I'll error on the side of caution and not encourage a sooner demise.

They built technology for a reason, and the reasonable use of it demonstrates great wisdom, in my honest opinion and should not be "Pooh poohed", or made fun of.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Boarman03 said:

Having the phone doesn't mean you have to use it. Being prepared is smart! Nearly dying in the desert or the forest, dealing with life threatening emergencies without the necessary emergency gear, is probably more foolishness than bravery.

Boy Scout Motto: " Always be prepared".

Having dealt with a few near death experiences personally, mostly not in my control, I believe they should be avoided when possible. They may build some character, but how important those experiences are can be disputed, and the PTSD remains for the rest of your life, with the flash backs, even though it does get easier to live with. No, I was not in the military and I greatly respect those who serve, or have served!

Nobody I ever new has come back to tell me how great the "next life" is after dying, so in my older age I'll error on the side of caution and not encourage a sooner demise.

They built technology for a reason, and the reasonable use of it demonstrates great wisdom, in my honest opinion and should not be "Pooh poohed", or made fun of.

my buddy wants to get into hunting, total city kid. going off about how he wants to get out in nature and what not, with no cell phone to be attached to the outside world type thing. i was like bro youre gonna want a phone incase you get lost or so you dont miss the truck by 4 miles. the idea of no phone is great but reality is theyre a nice tool.

On 9/9/2022 at 4:54 PM, DutchmanAZ said:

You sound like a knob. Your whole message here is to do things the way you do them or not do them at all?  Or, are you trying to convey how bad butt you are to a bunch or strangers on the internet? Also, you do understand that there is a great big world out there that extends past the AZ border, right?  Most people don’t want this functionality because they are afraid of getting lost, it’s because people can and do get hurt in areas outside of cell range. 

with your logic, the only reason to have a gps is to stop you from getting lost.  I keep hundreds of waypoints and interesting finds in my gps.  Granted, the fact that you could not deduce a reason for having this other than being lost, leads me to believe that you probably would have problems learning how to use it anyway. Carry on mountain man..