Sign in to follow this  
bigbuckfever

Things (snakes) that make you go, whew!

I was checking around a water hole Wednesday for deer tracks and the grass was over knee high in places from all the recent rain.  I turned to go back the way I came and took two steps, and as the third step came down, I just missed stepping on the tail of a black timber rattler that was slithering away from the water's edge.  About six inches of his tail were still next to my foot and I jumped and let out a whimper like a little schoolgirl (sure glad no one was there to witness that).  In that split second, he could have turned my way and struck and changed my life completely.  Fortunately for me, he decided to go about his way and was back in the thick grass leaving me there pretty shook up.  To say he scarred the crap out of me is an understatement. 

Just a bit of advice to my fellow hunters, keep your eyes open for them little b-stards so one doesn't ruin your day (or life).

• Like 2

Lady Luck was with you. Did you buy a lottery ticket? LOL

I use a little fold up stool I bought back in the 80's at Laradas Army Surplus in Mesa for predator hunting. One morning I was setting up in a wash in AJ and moved partially into a Palo Verde tree. I unfolded the stool and set it behind me. As I backed up and sat down there was a loud hiss like a house cat would make. Looking down there was a very large Diamond back about a foot away.

I guess I startled it.

I've had a ton of close calls with rattlers but one that comes to mind is when I was checking a trail camera a few years ago and the grass was real tall behind the tree I had it on so I took my hiking sticks and hit them on the ground to make sure I was in the clear and sure enough I pissed him off and out he came right at me.. first time I had one come at me.. they usually just hold their ground.. but this one had me backing up as I pulled out my pistol and let him have it. It was crazy to have one charge me like that.

About a month ago the Wife and I were hiking in 5BS and we around 50 yards apart, I hear a scream and she heard the rattle right before she stepped on it, scared the be-jesus out of her, she did good she back away and we checked it out and went on our way. Been hiking in the same area multiple times and never noticed one before. keep you ears and eyes on high alert!

Yep, i was not able to shoot it! 

3 hours ago, bigbuckfever said:

I was checking around a water hole Wednesday for deer tracks and the grass was over knee high in places from all the recent rain.  I turned to go back the way I came and took two steps, and as the third step came down, I just missed stepping on the tail of a black timber rattler that was slithering away from the water's edge.  About six inches of his tail were still next to my foot and I jumped and let out a whimper like a little schoolgirl (sure glad no one was there to witness that).  In that split second, he could have turned my way and struck and changed my life completely.  Fortunately for me, he decided to go about his way and was back in the thick grass leaving me there pretty shook up.  To say he scarred the crap out of me is an understatement. 

Just a bit of advice to my fellow hunters, keep your eyes open for them little b-stards so one doesn't ruin your day (or life).

You whimpered, I think I screamed!  However, I think it was a high pitched profanity if I recall correctly.  I had the same thing happen last month on an antelope  hunt, he rattled as my foot went down. I may have set a record for a one legged, backwards jump. I was also lucky, as he was a gentlemen about it and slithered the other way. made me slow waaaay down in the tall grass after that.

I've stepped over a lot of them. They always let me walk away. I had one that tried to kill my quad a long time ago. He came out of the bushes and just started striking, totally unprovoked. That one didn't live to tell the tale.

Had one get in my boat at Barlett lake one night. Crawled across my leg in a 10 foot jon boat. I was able to wait until it crawled under the front seat. Then hit land on a run . Friend of mine fished it out with a fishing pole and a kastmaster.

I stepped over one on the backside of Roosevelt when I was about 12 quail hunting with my dad it started buzzing and that sound haunted me for months. Still have its skin around here somewhere. The two that have given me nightmares were with each of my kids. We were hiking the Glassford hill trail three years ago and my daughter just 8 at the time got about 20 feet in front of us. The tumbleweeds were pretty thick and the trail was overgrown. About a minute later she screamed and came running back she almost stepped on a black tailed rattlesnake. We watched it slither away it was about 4 feet long. Last October we were at Alamo lake and the kids wanted to stop at the shore and swim. We have a little cove that we have done this in for years and never had any problems. After the kids swam we were looking for lost crankbaits and my son luckily saw a rattlesnake about 6 inches from his foot in 8 inch tall grass. The snake never rattled and we got lucky he didn’t get bit way out there. Still have nightmares about it.

In about 90 or I was about five miles west of the Shadow Of The Frog calling with a Circe when a little runt of a rattlesnake  came headed my way all upset. When it was at barrels lenght I picked  it up with the rifle barrel and flipped it about 10' away. 

Little sucker came right back like it was on a mission.

Had my dogs out scouting with me for an Elk tag when we came across a meadow heading back to the jeep when I stepped a foot or so away from a rattler. Luckily my pups (off leash) took a different path ahead of me. He was some what coiled up but never rattled. 

3F1153BA-4282-4D4F-8326-238C48070B2D.jpeg

• Like 1

Well, didn't work out as good for me (well, my pup).  Was walking her today, on a trail we've walked a ton.  Nice and wide trail in most places.  Also a pretty well used mountain bike path.

Stupid rattler sprang out from the grass on the side of the trail like it was shot out of a bow.  Dog jumped it (I am pretty sure).  When the dog landed on the other side of the trail, that snake launched again and nailed her twice in the front leg.  No rattle, no warning, just pissed off snake.

I had to carry that bitch out a couple of miles while she hyperventilated and convulsed.  Took me most of an hour to get out of there.  She weighs over 80 lbs, but shaking and moving around made her feel like 200 lbs.  Not exactly what I had planned for training for an upcoming elk hunt, but I got a free workout out of the ordeal.

Anyways, got her to the truck, shoved a bunch on benedryl down her throat (I know, I know) and drove like wild back home.  She had recently had a knee injury, so I had some doggy vitamin-I.  Gave her one of those.  Then laid there petting her for a couple of hours while she shivered and fought the sickness.  About 4 hours in, she started eating and drinking.   

She's slept most of the rest of the day, but acts like she'll be okay once it runs its course.  

Dog is tough!

I suspect that a mountain biker who had just passed us on the trail probably spooked that snake and had it on high alert.  Nothing we could have done (other than not go for a walk).

• Wow! 2

This dummy was well hidden under a jojoba bush. Had he kept quiet, I never would have known it was there. But a gate I was opening brushed the bush and the snake sounded off. Second one I found in the same spot in 2 months.

0706220748.thumb.jpg.aa5f14abb1961b0433be7f1cf7e53c7c.jpg