sherman

Pop-up tent

RV's are very specialized according as to what you want to do and what you have to haul it with.  irv2.com is a very good web site.  

I have a kodiak canvas and it’s a good tent, most pop ups after a while the zippers always mess up or the gears that crank the top up strip out, everyone of them I’ve dealt with was a hassle.

• Like 1

I had a pop up and as others mention they are a pain in the a** .The zippers are junk and they almost always leak.There is no room for storage of basic camping supplies.The fridge is a waste it's so small .If you have the space and the means to tow even a small hard sided trailer is a much better option.More space ,good size fridge,stand up shower not with the shitter in there with you ,more water and the grey and black tanks hold more.Used they are just a few bucks more than a pop up but are worthy of the extra money for the value and comfort they provide.

• Like 1

I have had several over the years and I have enjoyed them all.  I never had leaks or zipper issues.  My only complaint would be that everything kinda loosens up, like screws and cabinets and such.  I assume flexing.  But that is what we had the whole time the kids were at home and we enjoyed them,

I am older now and a regular travel trailer is more my speed.

13 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

I had a pop up and as others mention they are a pain in the a** .The zippers are junk and they almost always leak.There is no room for storage of basic camping supplies.The fridge is a waste it's so small .If you have the space and the means to tow even a small hard sided trailer is a much better option.More space ,good size fridge,stand up shower not with the shitter in there with you ,more water and the grey and black tanks hold more.Used they are just a few bucks more than a pop up but are worthy of the extra money for the value and comfort they provide.

This is dead on ...  I would rather pull a trailer weather it be a utility trailer  or a smaller camper trailer. Cause you can't haul much of anything in a pop up. So a trailer with a good tent is way better and you can haul whatever you want .... or a small camp trailer.. whichever your preference is. But I would not waste any money on a pop up. Just my opinion..By the time you're done with it , it won't be worth anything and you won't be able to sell it without a bunch of repairs. Axles and tire combos usually sucks as well. They will be hard to get parts for later too when it is time for the repairs.

I have owned one for about 5 years, bought it super cheap, re did roof and put new canvas on.  They are nice to get you off the ground and provide insulation for cold or hot weather, a small lift and they will get you further than bigger trailers, it's also nice to have a bigger stiffer bed to sleep in.  But like said before they can be a pain to setup/take down, and I worry about my crank system deciding to crap out making it useless.  I am going to sell it soon since I have upgraded to a fifth wheel.

I prefer Pop Up trailers over any camp trailer for following me where regular camp trailers can't.

I second what HunterHohnny said where he states that they seem to loosen up over time.

They are built light for a reason and that doesn't fare well with washboard dirt roads, flexing through uneven trails, etc.

There are several heavier duty off-road trailers available now, but they can get pricey.

For easier towing, better off-road manners, easier storage, I choose a pop up.

• Like 1

I had one for several years and sold it because I wanted a SXS and couldn't tow both.  That said I bought a wall tent and love the extra room that it has. The pop up did great for most of those years.  They aren't bad with only a couple people but you get anymore than that and they are cramped.

• Like 1

I've got an older popup (2004) that I paid $2000 for. Had a Kodiak tent before it. For family camping it's much nicer and even for hunting it's nice to have some walking around room at night. In state I'm using the popup, out of state I'll tent it.

• Like 1

I have a popup because the wife and kids like it better than tent camping. I think it’s nice, but honestly if it weren’t for the girls I would be in a tent.  We have a high wall that is so much nicer than regular sized popups. I’ve had both and a high wall is the way to go. Oven, closed bathroom, black tank….  We were just out with it last week.  We store it in backyard which is nice 

276B6C5F-8255-4ECA-91A6-B186D8659D39.jpeg

• Like 1

I have had it all- pop-up, camp over, travel trailer and now toy-hauler- each serve a different purpose- but i do miss the pop-up for short trips 3-4 nights- as long as you don't haul a bunch of crap they are great- when you add a outside stove, pop up shade tents, outside showers, etc they lose all room.  Light, easy to turn around and can get into small spaces make them a huge plus- we lifted ours and took that thing into some crazy places.  2 people are great, 3 is a crowd and 4... forget about it. The little stove heats them up quick on cold mornings - 

All depends - everyone I know that enjoys camping on longer trips - eventually gets a travel trailer or toy-hauler.  Be great to own both (for short trips)

• Like 2