AZbomb

FS closed roads

Has anyone been ticketed for driving on a FS closed road? 

Not offroad, but a road previously traveled and still a road but not on the Motor Vehicle Use Map as being open? 

No. But ever since they put those new maps out about five years ago. I'm suprised the NFS hasn't hired a bunch more people just to harass us and delve out tickets to justify their existence.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

No. But ever since they put those new maps out about five years ago. I'm suprised the NFS hasn't hired a bunch more people just to harass us and delve out tickets to justify their existence.

Don’t forget those tiny signs hidden behind brush. 

• Haha 1

We were in 5B-S for 5 days of the elk hunt. We camped off a short road that my buddy has camped at the last 4 years. We weren't in camp when the FS person showed up, so they left a note and crappy map. Note said "you are camped on a closed road, please vacate by Monday". The other camp talked to the FS person who said nothing about the closed road. Said they were there for 14 days and needed to move. There were plenty of camps outside the designated "camping zones", but on open roads. They weren't asked to move. It appears the FS is enforcing the closed road camping but not the designated "camping zones". People where still driving on "closed" roads without issue. I asked a G&F officer about it...he said "don't get me started".  A little consistency from the FS would be nice. There seems to be a lot of confusion.

• Like 1

We were in 8 when the closures first happened... 

Down one road, and then  a connecting road, and then another... finally to see they only mark one end. We didnt get "caught" but there was no way to tell  it was clodsed the direction we came

34 minutes ago, mbiewer said:

We were in 8 when the closures first happened... 

Down one road, and then  a connecting road, and then another... finally to see they only mark one end. We didnt get "caught" but there was no way to tell  it was clodsed the direction we came

I've had this happen multiple times. 

Are these seasonal closings?  I would think if they are closing roads that have been well used for years that proper prominent signs would be appropriate.