Sign in to follow this  
Couzer

Trail Camera Question

So here’s a question for everyone. If I place cameras in a unit, am I band from hunting that unit/area forever? Just would like to hang some cameras with the kids near our property up north to see what’s moving around out there. Would I’d be allowed to hunt the area 2-5 years later with no cameras being set?

From what I kinda was told was it better be at least 3 or more years and not an animal you have on camera... to be safer ..... key word safer ... not a definitive answer but that's what one g&f officer told me when I asked. But no where does it say that anywhere , just his opinion .... all I got for ya ... lol 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HyNoon said:

From what I kinda was told was it better be at least 3 or more years and not an animal you have on camera... to be safer ..... key word safer ... not a definitive answer but that's what one g&f officer told me when I asked. But no where does it say that anywhere , just his opinion .... all I got for ya ... lol 

Sounds like the response I was expecting. Appreciate the response 

• Like 1

I wouldn’t try it, when I went out, the only cameras I saw this year were smashed by people, so I think people have started some vigilantly stuff when they see some, assuming foul play. Not that a wrong on a wrong should be what is done, but it looks like that’s what is happening where I have been. What have you guys been seeing?

• Like 1

I’ve seen a few on tanks, but it’s considerably a lot less. Nothing damage

Vowell, it may be worth an email to the WM. If it is a positive response, it will also be documented. 

I've seen almost a dozen clearly abandoned cameras in my last 4 trips and none appearing to be functional.

• Like 1

"which states that a person shall not use a trail camera for the purposes of taking or locating or aiding in the take of wildlife, becomes effective Jan. 1, 2022."

This is the rule. What you are trying to do is completely legal as far as I can tell. The rule says nothing about unit boundaries, or a timeframe or anything like that. So just don't shoot a buck you have a picture of and you're good. And don't set a camera out with the intent of finding a deer to shoot. If your intent is only to take pictures of random animals with your kids, have at it. I respect the game and fish's ruling on this, but it's a shame that they wrote the rule in a way that makes regular citizens feel like they may become criminals for simply just setting out a harmless trail camera with their kids. Trail cameras are only illegal if you intend to hunt what you get pictures of. Don't let anybody tell you any different. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, creed_az_88 said:

"which states that a person shall not use a trail camera for the purposes of taking or locating or aiding in the take of wildlife, becomes effective Jan. 1, 2022."

This is the rule. What you are trying to do is completely legal as far as I can tell. The rule says nothing about unit boundaries, or a timeframe or anything like that. So just don't shoot a buck you have a picture of and you're good. And don't set a camera out with the intent of finding a deer to shoot. If your intent is only to take pictures of random animals with your kids, have at it. I respect the game and fish's ruling on this, but it's a shame that they wrote the rule in a way that makes regular citizens feel like they may become criminals for simply just setting out a harmless trail camera with their kids. Trail cameras are only illegal if you intend to hunt what you get pictures of. Don't let anybody tell you any different. 

Totally agree, I just didn’t know if there was a statute of limitations on a period of time. Appreciate all the responses. I’m going to send a email to G&F 

I have a hypothetical as well for this. If I, a non tag holder, sets a camera for entertainment purposes only, get some pictures. Then, someone ask me where to go and I give him that spot.  Does that count as using a camera?  He never sees the pic. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, idgaf said:

I have a hypothetical as well for this. If I, a non tag holder, sets a camera for entertainment purposes only, get some pictures. Then, someone ask me where to go and I give him that spot.  Does that count as using a camera?  He never sees the pic. 

Essentially breaking the law, yes. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Calamado_Guey said:

Essentially breaking the law, yes. 

Exactly the way I would see it.  Because the camera was used in the aid of taking game no matter how it’s translated.

• Like 3

Ok another hypothetical,   I post coordinates and pics on Facebook, does that mean anyone that sees it can't hunt there?

• Like 2