Mog

Swarovski 15x56 question

Considering getting the SLC HD glass, currently have the non-hd (I believe they are the neu version), wondering if anyone has any field experience with both and can speak to if it's worth it or not? And dont think I'm interested in the 12x42 NLs, not sure I can give up the extra power.

Thanks

You will gain clarity on the 15s. They are noticeable in relation to the neu. Neu are still good glass though. 

NLs are exceptional. Clarity, edge to edge and field of view is unreal. Very lightweight glasses. 

You can search a lot of reviews and side by side comparison. Bird forums have some great stuff to review. 

The optical quality difference will vary from person to person depending on your eyesight. It is not a drastic difference. The ones you have are excellent and IMO, for the $$$ difference, I'm not sure it's worth the upgrade. I'm taking for granted that you always tripod mount them for optimum performance

I thought the NEUs were HDs?  Maybe not?

My Swaro SLC 15x56s are definitely the HDs, and they are fantastic.

I would go 15x56 SLC HD over 12x50 NL Pure as long as you have a good set of 10x42s also.  To me, the 15s are a bit much for glassing under a mile.  I like a wider FOV for that distance.  

I have hunted with guys who only have the 12x50 NL Pures, and a buddy and I with the 15x56 HDs were able to pick out pronghorn at 4+ miles and tell the difference between does, an average buck, and a good buck from that distance.  Not necessarily HOW good, but definitely could pick out the bigger bucks from the smaller ones to see if they were worth a closer look.  The 12s could barely make out the difference between the bucks and does.

If you only have one set, the 12s make a bit more sense.  Sure wish Swaro would release an NL Pure 15x56.

• Like 3

I've had both, still run the 15x56 HD's.

Some years ago I handed down the non HD 15's to my son. He recently had lasik surgery and can see like an eagle now, and he says he can definitely tell the difference. 

It's worth it IMO.

HD 15s are nice and alot better than the non hd's. I still would take my 12 nl's over them.  Clearer with a bigger fov. And eliminates carrying 2 pair of binos.  12's with a scope for me

27 minutes ago, forepaw said:

The Vortex Kaibab HD 15x56s are known to be very good.  Just curious how these would rate in comparison to the glass mentioned above?

I had them. My Meopta 15s we're better and I thought my meoptas we're better then the non HD swaros. But not as good as the HD swaros.  I'd take Meopta 15s over the non hd swaros any day. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, forepaw said:

The Vortex Kaibab HD 15x56s are known to be very good.  Just curious how these would rate in comparison to the glass mentioned above?

my buddy has them... I was not impressed.  No comparison.  Plus the  focus  died on a hunt this year, so he was using his 10s the rest of the hunt.  Pretty tough on an antelope hunt.  There is a reason for the price difference.

• Like 2

My 2 cents , not worth much , because my kids , say I’m blind . I started of with Pentax as a kid and no deer could hide from me . Now , I’m old and like kids say blind . Whatever !  I have 10x42 SLC  , 15x56 Swarovski regular and also HD . 
Love my 10x42 early morning scanning , and they are my go to hands down , to find a lot deer quick .
My HD are new to me , just took awhile to justify the extra cost . I break out the 15s , after scanning . I’m definitely, lucky my 15s , fit my eyes for comfort . I do find , my HD have slight edge over my regular Swarovski and definitely lighter . 
True thought , I just tell myself, I have Swarovski and there no excuse to come up with , why I can’t find deer 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, seek100plus said:

My 2 cents , not worth much , because my kids , say I’m blind . I started of with Pentax as a kid and no deer could hide from me . Now , I’m old and like kids say blind . Whatever !  I have 10x42 SLC  , 15x56 Swarovski regular and also HD . 
Love my 10x42 early morning scanning , and they are my go to hands down , to find a lot deer quick .
My HD are new to me , just took awhile to justify the extra cost . I break out the 15s , after scanning . I’m definitely, lucky my 15s , fit my eyes for comfort . I do find , my HD have slight edge over my regular Swarovski and definitely lighter . 
True thought , I just tell myself, I have Swarovski and there no excuse to come up with , why I can’t find deer 

Ok but what about eye relief?  Std. 15x56 are only 14 mm, which means I can't use them with glasses.  Without glasses, I still get a pretty decent image, but correction is diopters only, not astigmatism.  Does eye relief on the HD 15x56 seem better?

I have heard the 10x42 SLC are somewhat underrated.

The twist out eyecups allow use with or without glasses.  I used my 15s on occasion while ringing steel with buddies before I got the BTXs.  I could twist them in to use with my eye protection, or twist out in varying settings for use without.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, forepaw said:

Funny I know, but hunted with a couple of guys who used them, and they were spotting game like no tomorrow.  Young eyes make all the difference.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, forepaw said:

They have a great warranty. 😊

• Haha 2